Thread: Exporting As A PSD File

Gallery
    View images

Exporting As A PSD File

Hi

I love the the new Art Rage 3 (upgraded today) but think I may have found a little bug. When you export a multi layered file as a psd the bottom layer comes out as white even though it is a transparent background in AR3. AR2 didn't have this problem. I have opened the psd in a couple of different programs (Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro) to get the same result.

I am unable to post a screenshot to show exactly what the problem is due to your anti spamming set up.

Is it a case of me having to set something somewhere to stop the bottom layer becoming white?

Gallery
    View images
    In ArtRage Studio and ArtRage Studio Pro we changed the way canvas colour and layers interact. In ArtRage 2.5 every layer could have different paper colour. However we found that causes some serious work-flow issues when you're trying to combine layers with effects such as watercolour. It also didn't work very well with exporting layers with paper colour to Photoshop PSDs.
    So in ArtRage Studio and ArtRage Studio Pro we separated out the paper colour, and made it a 'virtual layer'. When you export to a PSD that virtual paper layer becomes a physical PSD layer. If you then import the PSD back into ArtRage, the PSD layer is still a real layer, but the virtual paper layer no longer exists - it has transparent paper. Which means the *next* time you export to a PSD you dont get yet another layer.

This means the overall look of the document (layers against paper) is preserved when you export to a PSD, but all the transparent paint layers are still editable as transparent layers.

If you dont want the PSD exported with a white base layer, just set your paper colour in ArtRage to transparent. No paper layer will be exported in that case.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure that I have explained myself clearly. The paper layer in AR 3 is transparent when I export it and if it is completely painted in another colour it is changed to a white layer. If it is partially painted then it is white around the existing item on the canvas. When I import the psd file back in AR 3 the background is still white. I can get around the problem by simply duplicating the bottom layer in AR 3 before I export it and then deleting the extra layer when I open the psd. I'll keep playing and see if I have changed something I shouldn't have lol.

Gallery
    View images
    Hmm I've tried doing this too Andy, i always just exported and selected my artwork via Ctrl clicking in PS to move it onto a transparent layer, but i was just trying to do what you said and i really can't see what you mean.

I've tried clicking the little colour dial in the canvas settings panel and changing that to nothing, the best i can do is pure white i've tried selecting a cell paper, but still get a paper layer in PS, by the way, my tests were 3 layers and only the 1st has a non transparent background, the other two are transparent.

So a work around is don't work on your 1st layer, just leave it blank, then when you export the layers you want to work on will be transparent.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the report, Bluebird! We're looking into this one here.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design