ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Artrage 3 destroyed layer of artwork whilst using UNDO.

Artrage 3 destroyed layer of artwork whilst using UNDO.

Just had a severe corruption of some artwork I'm working on. I jinxed myself by thinking how stable it all was, as I was enjoying the new inking tool. However, It seems that all is not well.

I went to undo an ink line that I had just laid and nothing happened. So I pressed undo again. Again, nothing happened. Then the image corrupted with what looked like a refresh problem destroying the majority of work that had been done on the layer. However it turns out that even exporting the image as a PSD and opening it up in Photoshop proved that the image is no more, even though the layer thumbnail still looks intact.

I have attached two images of how the problem manifests itself. Plus another screenshot of an error message that I had earlier this evening, that was caused by saving the file for the first time and then trying to choose a inking tool preset. It went away when I chose another tool, rather than a preset. Perhaps this had something to do with it. But maybe not. Perhaps I should have heeded its advice and restarted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2009-12-16 at 02.12.25.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	37702  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sounds like you were possibly working on a big file, probably high rez, as stable as AR3 is i still save many progress copies along the way when i don't want to lose something.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Are you able to tell me what the preset you had problems with was named?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi Rustybucket,

Sorry to hear you had a problem. Could you let me know whatever you can recall from the following if possible:

1/ Your operating system version
    2/ The preset name you were using for the Inking Pen, or otherwise any of the settings you can recall from the settings panel
    3/ The dimensions and number of layers of the image you were working on

This may help us to track down what might be causing the problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Rustybucket,

Sorry to hear you had a problem. Could you let me know whatever you can recall from the following if possible:

1/ Your operating system version
    2/ The preset name you were using for the Inking Pen, or otherwise any of the settings you can recall from the settings panel
    3/ The dimensions and number of layers of the image you were working on

This may help us to track down what might be causing the problem.
    1/ The Operating system was Snow Leopard (with latest software updates)
    2/ The preset was an adaptation of one of the default inking brushes that I called "Simple Inking Brush". I didn't give it a custom thumbnail. I was then tweaking the smoothing parameter as I was working on the image. I believe I tried to change the smoothing value when the error message occurred. I had just saved the image for the first time and as soon as it was complete, clicking this preset brought up the error message. This isn't what killed the software for me though. It went away after clicking another tool.
    3/ As for the image corruption, I don't have the exact dimensions of the image, but I'm confident it wasn't anymore than 3000x2500 pixels. I had about 7 layers in the image and I had been using the selection>copy>paste>transform tools. Other than that, there was nothing unusual about the session.

On an unrelated note I also observed there was a very noticeable amount of anti-aliasing of the area that was copy/pasted and then flipped horizontally. This was the first time I had used this ability in Artrage 3, but the softening of the crisp inked edges was very noticeable. This isn't a complete killer for me, because I'm likely to finish the artwork in Illustrator, but it was a bit of a buzzkill not to have the precision that I'm used to with Photoshop selections.

Hope this helps.