ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What determines glitter's wetness?

What determines glitter's wetness?

Here is my example: I create a new image and open tracing paper. Using color cloning and the glitter tool, I create a glitter copy of the tracing paper. If I then try to use the palette knife to smear the glitter, some of it is wet, and some of it is not.

What affects whether glitter is still wet? Does it dry whenever you change a tool or setting, for example?

In case it is relevant, I am using the new release (2.2).

Thanks,
    David

I had the same problem. Oddly, the direction of a plette knife storke made a difference.

Mine gave me trouble if I went from the middle of the page toward the color palette in the lower right. It pulled paint from beneath the pile of glitter but left the top untouched. But pulling it in different directions I didn't seem to have the problem.

And I wasn't doing layers. All on the one level of paper/canvas, Default everything except I was messing with the settings of the glitter as I was putting it down. Also messed around with the pressure of the palette knife to no avail in regards to smearing paint from underneath the pile of glitter.

Is this all because cyclones and draining water swirl in a different direction?

(OSX).

In theory, glitter is always dry unless you put something wet overtop it.

A soon as there is any wet paint overtop glitter, the entire depth of glitter is considered wet. We only store one wetness value per pixel of paint.
    If you need glitter to always be dry, create a layer just for glitter.
    There currently isn't a means to change the wetness of paint on a layer, except to put down wet or dry paint overtop something else.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

The only "paint" in the file was the glitter. It defintely had some wetness, as the palette knife would smear some areas. Perhaps a feature?

D.

Nah - that's one in the 'bug' dept. I'm guessing there was an interpolation bug in the palette knife that was causing wetness to appear where it shouldn't.

I think it'd be fun in a future release of ArtRage, making glitter 'wetable', so you could lay down some sparse multi-coloured glitter, then smoosh it with the paint roller. Splat!

... With the new mulicolor pickup from a tracing image that would be a really neat feature, Andy. Atleast I would appreciate such a feature for glitter very much.

Would it be hard to include a wet option for glitter? I'm asking because I actually did a few tests using the new glitter tool - Starting of in Photoshop on a new canvas. Background color set to black and then add a layer of gaussian noise. Blur the thing and export to Artrage and import as a tracing layer. It worked almost like I wanted it to, with a nice texure feel to it while getting the variance in the dark background color i was after. Much faster than using the olibrush to get the texture feel I needed. Now if I only could push glitterpaint around with the paletteknife...
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Remind me before the next release to at the very least sneak an easter-egg into ArtRage that will let you 'wet' or 'dry' the entire layer.
    Matt wont notice an extra button laying around the UI - I'm sure.

andy, that would be so awesome. thanks and keep up the good work

(oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy,oh joy, oh joy, oh joy......)

yeah, ok it's friday and only a few more hours until I can get that friday night beer and go home... heh
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Since we're talking about wet and dry glitter, let me re-iterate my request for "spatter." Wet glitter in inky/painty/blobby shapes.

I was thinking of a "sputter" amount for airbrushes too, where occasional impurities in the spray are like mixing spatter and smooth airbrushing.

Lastly, the "eraser" end of the stylus should work differently based on the tool. If I have been charcoalling or pastelling, the eraser end of the stylus should be your fingertip, acting more like the knife tool but round, smearing and smudging the recent work. For pencil, a regular eraser. For the knife, the back end is just a much smaller knife for whiskers. For glitter, I know you can't do it, but I'm imagining a gummy eraser that picks up individual glitter bits.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Nah - that's one in the 'bug' dept. I'm guessing there was an interpolation bug in the palette knife that was causing wetness to appear where it shouldn't.

I think it'd be fun in a future release of ArtRage, making glitter 'wetable', so you could lay down some sparse multi-coloured glitter, then smoosh it with the paint roller. Splat!
    I would definitely like wet glitter. I never realized it wasn't wet -- which was why I was trying to smear it with the knife.

Thanks, Andy.

D.