ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lag with the water color brush. Is it just me?

Gallery
    View images

Lag with the water color brush. Is it just me?

Hiya,
    Yesternight it got really late for me, and today morning I'd to rush to work, so just had time to put the demo on download. in the evening came home to try out the much anticipated watercolors and found a LAG!!
    So am wondering if it is just me or does anyone else face a VERY noticeable lag while painting with the watercolor brush @ size 100 (not even more than 100)

I also faced lag while using the soft type pallette knife @ 100, just like 2.5.

So is it something at my end? because I read someone stated that the tools were 'zipping' on their P4..

ta,
    fly
    P.S. everything else looks brilliant tho, still going to take a long time to explore all the nooks and crannies of AR3, but Congratulations to the Rage team!!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    erm.. maybe I should've posted this to the Technical forum..

Gallery
    View images
    erm, I have no idea how to change it to another thread, or is it only administrator's who can do that.
    anyway I do have a fast processor and decent amount of ram. so i suppose it can't be that...
    *sigh**

Gallery
    View images
    The watercolour is our most processor-intensive tool. The 'wet' dynamics are quite involved.
    Things you can to do speed it up: Turn off real colour blending - that's another math-intensive process that is called multiple times in the water blend. Turn off canvas lighting - canvas lighting slows down the updating on the canvas.

Watercolour is also our newest tool, so we're still looking for ways to make is faster.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Oh thanks Andy.
    I'll try all of that.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Andy,
    Seems a little better but the lag is still there.
    Is there anything I can try at the system resources level that'd help?
    like the reserve memory function in photoshop?
    also is there a way to purge the undo memory?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    Hi Andy,
    Seems a little better but the lag is still there.
    Is there anything I can try at the system resources level that'd help?
    like the reserve memory function in photoshop?
    also is there a way to purge the undo memory?
    Not really. It's mostly processing power that it chews up. (And it's made to look worse because all the other tools are fast. )
    You can change your painting techniques though. If you need large areas of colour blocked in, use the paint roller, or airbrush. Keep the watercolour tool for smaller areas and details.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Also do some experimenting with the settings. You may find a speed up that way. Some presets are slower than ones you might make. Like adding a little thinner to the mix sometimes speeds up the flow. It helps to quiet that invisible little gnome in there that says I can't go to too fast right now I am too thick right now...

paper wet setting seems to require a lot of thought processes... try turning that one off.

And here is another tip: turn on real color blending and don't get stuck in purist mode.... adding some other tools to the mix not only can intensify the colors but also speed up the processor. Add a little oil... go ahead try it. It only works in artrage... not real life. ha ha. Add a little spray paint. Then go back to watercolor over that. Now you are getting some amazing color blends.
    one that I love is adding chalk to your watercolor and then watercolor over or alongside that. now you are getting some great new colors infused in there. It is absolutely amazing how artrage figures it all out but it does.
    There is no way you would be adding chalk to watercolor in real life... but in artrage it is possible. aw what the heck... throw in a little gloop and felt pen too.

and when you feel it taxing your system memory you can always do a save and reopen the file again to help that. It is some mighty advanced processing going on.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    here's a nice little setting for purist watercolors.
    all done with watercolor... only varied the size of the brush throughout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watercolor2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	37671  

Thanks for this Gz. i found it nice to do some sketch with this setting.