Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't use Artrage Studio Pro 3 with my Wacom Cintiq

Gallery
    View images

I can't use Artrage Studio Pro 3 with my Wacom Cintiq

My problem:
    Every time I move the artrage interface from my main monitor to my cintiq tablet, the entire interface content disappears. The interface becomes blank and I have to close artrage and open it again.
    In a few word, I can see and use the software only in my main monitor, but the cintiq tablet is not recognized.
    I have tried to reeboot my mac, but the result is always the same.
    Can you help me?

My wacom tablet is a Cintiq 18x

My computer is:

Mac OS X 10.6.2
    2x2.93 ghz quad core intel xeon
    mem: 16 gb 1066 mhz DDR3

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 for Mac
    Quadro Driver: the latest release (18.5.2f16)

Gallery
    View images
    I've had some weirdness with AR on the secondary display (i.e., my Cintiq) too. How did you arrange your displays? I find that putting the Cintiq to the left of the main display, and with the top aligned to the top of the main display, will sometimes recover mysteriously hidden UI elements in other applications. With AR specifically, it avoids other trouble with where popup windows appear...

As far as I can guess, the problem is that once the panels are opened once, AR saves the position, and this can cause it to try to open them in locations that aren't visible. However when I moved my Cintiq from the right of my main display to the left I found all of the panel windows neatly aligned to the right border of the Cintiq...

Gallery
    View images
    yes, my cintiq is on the left, too. I think it's a bug of Artrage Studio pro 3, because my artrage 2.5 works fine with my cintiq.
    I have sent a request to the technical support. I hope for a fix.

Gallery
    View images
    You should also make sure you have the latest Wacom drivers for your Cintiq.
    I've added this problem to our buglist to examine in more detail.

Unfortunately there are always a few issues that show up in the first few days after a major release - we just dont have the ability to test all combinations of hardware and operating systems.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I have just downloaded the latest driver for my wacom cintiq 18SX.
    Unfortunately the problem is the same. By the way I'm quite sure is a bug, since my artrage 2.5 works fine with my cintiq.

P.S: apart this problem, the release 3 is impressive!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the update, moenen.
    We'll see what we can do for a point release.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I currently have a Cintiq set up and I can drag ArtRage from my main screen to the cintiq screen without losing the intererface regardless of which side I have arranged the Cintiq display space to. It's possible I am doing something different so could someone who experiences this confirm that they are doing this:

1. The first time you start ArtRage it opens on your main monitor.

2. Drag the window to the Cintiq monitor - Does the interface go blank? If it does, does it happen as you drag it or when you release the window on the second monitor?

3. Close ArtRage.

4. Reopen ArtRage, it should appear on the second monitor, is the interface blank?

I note that you say you get this 'every time' you move your ArtRage to the Cintiq screen: If you move it once it should launch there when you restart it, this may reveal a point of difference: Can you let me know why you are having to move it more than once?

Question: Is your Cintiq turned off at any point when you start ArtRage? That may cause a problem if the OS doesn't have a second monitor listed and the app tries to launch on it.

Regarding other issues mentioned such as popup panel locations: Could you let me know what is happening? Again, the panels remember their last location so if you move them to a monitor, close the app, then reopen the app they should appear on the same monitor.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I probably misunderstood the situation when I wrote my previous reply because I didn't notice the issue before. I can reproduce it now on my Macbook, though.

First of all, I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.2 and my tablet is a Cintiq 12wx. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the Cintiq is turned on or off, as long as it is plugged in, the Mac sees it as a display (this may or may not be different with the larger Cintiqs, I don't know if they have half the electronics in a separate box too as the small models do). My Cintiq is now arranged to the left of the main display to avoid the popup problem. I have previously set up AR 3 on the Cintiq and starting it up works as it should, it opens on the Cintiq and everything is in place. The Cintiq has a different colour profile but I verified that setting it to the same as the main screen uses doesn't have any effect on AR. It does have the same pixel size as the main screen.

I found several ways to reliably make the window go blank. This does include the canvas, the background and all docked panels and pods, but undocked floating panels will remain visible (as long as AR is in the foreground, of course). In other words, this is just about the main window not being redrawn in specific situations. The UI itself is functional even when it is hidden and will re-appear in the process of being used.

• Move the window about halfway to the other screen (works with both screens); it only goes blank if I move it at least halfway or more, and only as soon as I let go off the mouse button, and it has to be halfway on the other screen - just moving it halfway out of the screen it is already on will do nothing
    • Resize the window with the bottom-right resize button on the secondary display, the window goes blank during live resize as soon as the shape changes for the first time, and then stays blank (resizing on the main display doesn't make it go blank, and neither does toggling fullscreen)
    • Using the user menu's "Login Window" option to lock the screen, then logging in again as the same user; this happens regardless of which screen the main window is on
    • Changing the Cintiq's display rotation in the Display system preference

The good news is that all it takes to make stuff visible again is doing something that causes AR to redraw the window, so it's not permanently broken. You can press the "D" key for a good start and then move the canvas around a bit. Just moving the cursor over it also redraws the parts covered by the cursor graphic. Hiding AR and then command-tabbing back into it redraws everything - but you have to hide it first or cover all of the area it uses in some other way, just command-tabbing around will do nothing, nor will switching windows with Exposť.

Regarding hidden popup panels:

This only happened with popups that always appear near the cursor location and is only an issue when this is a location close to the left of the screen and the main display with the menu bar is logically arranged to the left of the screen I'm using for AR. One example is the brush size popup, another is the popup that appears when you click on the percentage displayed in the dials in the brush settings panel. Panels themselves are only affected if this happens the first time you open them. After that they will re-open in the location that AR remembers, unless you deliberately move them partially out of the screen (which doesn't trigger the bug most of the time, see below). There may be other candidates. The secondary screen needs to be too the right of the main screen for this to happen. To me, it looks like the top left corner of the popup can end outside the secondary screen when there is another display containing that location. If there is no such display, then the popup will appear aligned to the left border and all is well. (Hence, having the secondary screen to the left of the main screen works around this.) But when I have a display logically arranged to the left of my Cintiq then I get the popup in seemingly random locations on that display, and sometimes not visible at all. I can reliably reproduce this with the brush settings dials and the brush size popup.

I mentioned deliberately moving a panel partially out of the screen. I only managed to trigger a bug once with this. What I did is open the stickers pod, and move the panel to a location partially on the other display, then close it. On re-opening it, one single time it wound up in a completely different location and partially below the menu bar. All other times I tried it correctly appeared fully on either display depending on how far I had moved it off the display I was testing with.

Maybe related to this:

If I have the main window on the Cintiq, and resize it so part of it appears on the main display to the right of the Cintiq, then the actual window size will be smaller than I would expect from the cursor location during the resize, to the point of covering only a very small part of the main display when during resize, it extends to the right border of it. During the initial resize from a single-display window to one that extends to the other display, the window is actually only shown on the Cintiq. Once I let go off the button when the cursor has reached the right edge of my main display, it is shown on both displays and in working order (but too small, as stated above). When I grab the resize button again then the window will rapidly alternate between the actual size and the one I thought I resized it to while I move the cursor.

Another thing I found while experimenting. It doesn't always happen, but really often (>70%) when I try to make it happen - otherwise it's not exactly a huge problem:

My pen is set up to left-click on touch, and right-click with the pen button while hovering. Have the window on the Cintiq in non-fullscreen mode, and small enough to give room for growing it. Grab the resize corner with the pen right-click button without touching the tablet and drag away from window centre. During the drag operation all I see is the canvas move. Once I let go off the button, a thin frame appears with the size the window would have if it hadn't moved the canvas instead of resizing. The frame follows the pen until I touch the pen to the tablet. The window itself stays the same size. Right-clicking with the pen is relayed to the application the cursor is over, which is usually the Finder for me, so I get the Desktop context menu. The next time I grab the corner with a left click, I also get the thin frame instead of live resizing. Sometimes resizing with the thin frame doesn't end up in the window actually being resized, but once it does, the next resize will be a live resize. The way the window shape changes on that first live resize will however not really resemble where I move the pen.

I have managed to trigger this on the main screen with the Macbook's touchpad as well (pen is configured so it will never affect my main screen), but I'm not sure how. It is infinitely easier on the Cintiq. But in the two cases where I managed to trigger this on the main screen, the window disappeared entirely, and the application became borderline unresponsive. The menu bar didn't appear, and the cursor was invisible. It does seem that some graphics updates still happened, but I ended up force-quitting AR to resolve the matter. On restart, the window was back and in working order.

Gallery
    View images
    i can't give a great help, since my english is little, but I'll try to give you a short description of my situation.

my wacom cintiq 18 sx is on the left of the main screen. When I try to change the position of the tablet, from left to right, I have the same problem: a blank interface.

I have tried to paint on this blank interface, and I have noticed a curious behaviour: the interface appears, all pixellated, in the points that I have "painted".

By this strange expedient, I can rebuilt all the missing (or maybe invisible) interface, and then I can work in it.

After this, I can close the interface. When I start again, I have the full interface visible and active in my cintiq screen... but when I try to move the interface from the tablet screen, to the main screen ( a 30 cinema display), the interface appears blank again.

At this point, if I want to work with artrage studio pro, I have to move the blank interface in the tablet screen, and then I have to "repaint" the interface again.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi, someway I have a similar problem with my tablet PC hp2710p (Wacom active digitizer ): when I move my pen close to the panels they disappear! Furthermore, while drawing or painting, often rising my pen from the screen the lines unwillingly contiunue and don't stop until you get tapping the screen various times (in a random way)! On the other hand, no problems with my umpc with passive touchscreen, so the problems would seem related with the active digitizer...
    I really do hope it's possible to solve the problem, since AR3 is an astonishing program and, obviously, I've bought it with the main intent to use it with my tablet PC...!