ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick to Selection!

Stick to Selection!

In AR3 I already have a wish. When I draw a selection using any of the selection tools, and then grab a drawing instrument (pencil, pen, etc) it would be nice when drawing near the selection edge, the drawing would "snap to" or flow along the selection.

So for example, there could be a preference setting or whatnot, to specify that if I draw within X pixels near a selection edge, my drawing would be confined to the edge of the selection.

I guess it would be similar to the "guide" mode of the stencils, except I would not have to specifically create a stencil for it, but create one on the fly using a selection.
    --LES

It should be easy enough to create a stencil from your selection on the fly.
    While the selection is active, click new layer, fill with paint bucket tool (making sure single layer is checked in your Settings panel), right click the result in the layers panel and turn into stencil. You can then delete the layer you used to create the stencil and work with your new stencil on the original layer, aligned perfectly. Turn into a guide or invert etc as required as per AR2x
    Last edited by Juz; 12-15-2009 at 09:50 PM.

I think he knows this. It's just a bit of extra work that could be eliminated. I like the suggestion. If it is too much effort to implement, maybe a "stencil from selection" option would work too?

Its only four clicks of the mouse... hardly work

It would also take time to set and tweak offset values in the settings
    Last edited by Juz; 12-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.

I've seen both of these ideas kicked around the Beta group at one point. It's likely on the AR teams list of things to think about. I can't say it'll make it in or not. Just that I know it's been brought up to them.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yes, I was aware of being able to create a stencil from it, however, as Danny said, it's too much work (ouch! :-) and the other is, it's an unnecessary step to clutter my RAM with a PNG file that I will only use for a second or two. (OK, actually I don't know if the stencil will be stored only in RAM or saved as an actual PNG file, but that's irrelevant.)

Imagine I will keep creating selections for stroking one after another. If I'd start creating stencils as many times as I make a selection for stroking, I'd end up with a gazillion of stencils in a short amount of time for no reason. Then I can start deleting them when my session ends. Not something I'd want to keep doing.

Not to mention, it's a hip function. Not even photoshop has this!
    --LES

Quote Originally Posted by pentool View Post
    Not to mention, it's a hip function. Not even photoshop has this!
    You can get close, you can create a selection that covers the border of an original selection, with configurable thickness. Tools won't snap to anything but you can effectively paint the border of a selection.

Btw, since this is the suggestions forum, this would be useful in ArtRage too, along with growing and shrinking the selection

Both selections and stencils in AR3 are both just ways of masking alpha, they just use different methods to display that mask.
    In photoshop you can make a selection and hit quickmask at the bottom of the tool palette and instead of displaying what is being masked as transparent (with the marching ants) it shows it as a red mask (how the stencil displays in artrage).
    Deleting stencils as you work would be the same as deselecting a selection. If you do not save the stencils then no extra disk space is used.
    To grow or shrink a selection use the above suggestion, once you have painted with the bucket use the tranform tools before making your stencil.
    Last edited by Juz; 12-15-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Both selections and stencils in AR3 are both just ways of masking alpha, they just use different methods to display that mask.
    Well, yes, but that's kind of missing the point. Stencils can be switched to modes where tools snap to their borders, and selections can't. They can also be easily transformed.

I agree that making a stencil is not much work. Please don't see any of this as a complaint. Essentially, what I do now is this:

1) Make new layer
    2) Draw selection
    3) Fill selection with new fill tool (any colour will do)
    4) Right click the new layer
    5) Select "New Stencil From Layer Contents"
    6) Right click the new layer again
    7) Select "Delete Layer"
    8) Wait 1-2 seconds for the layer to go away on my laptop
    9) Right-click the stencil
    10) Select "Ruler Mode"
    11) Paint a perfect line along the border of the new stencil

It's not like this is hard or a lot of work, but most of it could be eliminated with a "Ruler Mode" toggle for selections, or a quick way to create a stencil from a selection. Essentially, of these 11 steps, step 2 is painting the shape, step 11 is painting the actual strokes you want to paint, and everything else is overhead that could be eliminated.

To grow or shrink a selection use the above suggestion, once you have painted with the bucket use the tranform tools before making your stencil.
    Actually if you are going to make a stencil anyway, you can just shrink the stencil itself when it is done... I think it's mapped to alt-dragging by default, I can never remember since I have the modifier keys mapped to buttons on my tablet and remember what they do by their location on the tablet and not by which key they map to. Anyway, it's pretty quick, handling stencils overall is really well done.

Another thing I use growing and shrinking selections for in GIMP is smoothing the edge of a selection or removing holes. I'm not sure how often I would need this in AR though, I haven't ever felt a need to use a selection in AR 2.5. Just now that I have them...

This is more an issue with the comfort level of end users.
    Stencils are selections, they just display differently. They already have the functionality that is being requested so why not just use them ?

PS/ As you rightly point out shrinking the resultant stencils works too, thats a personal choice as to which way you prefer to work

Another thing I use growing and shrinking selections for in GIMP is smoothing the edge of a selection or removing holes. I'm not sure how often I would need this in AR though, I haven't ever felt a need to use a selection in AR 2.5. Just now that I have them...
    Check the settings for your selection tools... you can subtract, add etc to a selection no problems in AR3 and use the feather dial to control smoothing
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 12-15-2009 at 11:44 PM.