ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Advanced Sticker Creation Tutorial by Silentman (Studio Pro Only)

Gallery
    View images

An Advanced Sticker Creation Tutorial by Silentman (Studio Pro Only)

The Making of the Alphabet Font Set with ArtRage Studio Pro

This is a tutorial covering some of the more advanced techniques involved in
    creating stickers in ArtRage Studio Professional.

During the tutorial i hope to share with you some key rules for making stickers,
    and by the end i hope that you will be able to go onto make even more complex
    and exciting stickers. During the beta phase us testers had an interesting time
    getting used to creating stickers, whilst making simple stickers is extremely easy,
    making more complex stickers is well.... complex, when there is more than just
    the colour map involved, you need to learn how to make all the different maps
    play nicely together. This tutorial is a culmination of the blood sweat tears
    of many beta testers trials & errors not least of all SomeoneSane, who has
    helped us all come to terms with the sticker creator right from the word go,
    also i have spent many hours and posts discussing different road blocks i
    came up against along my journey, with both Andy and Matt, without their
    help and guidance this tutorial would not be possible, my hat goes off to you,
    the creators of an Awesome Program ArtRage 3 Studio Professional.

First we must choose a font, preferably one with some room to be creative, i have
    chosen the Almonte Font. Whilst you may want to paint it or do various other things to it,
    so that it looks pretty, 1st after you have chosen a font we must align the text to a grid.

Before the sticker creation begins, we must type the Font out into AR3 in a fashion that
    allows us to easily make a grid for the letters to fit into, so try to keep the same amount of
    letters on each line, i have typed mine out at 160 points and my file is 200ppi for good
    quality text, especially when you go to blow it up later, after the stickers have been created,
    each letter must be on itís own layer so we can line them up individually in the grid in a later step.

Name:  Layout01.png
Views: 3399
Size:  131.7 KB

Now that you have the Alphabet typed and any Glyphs or Numbers you would like to make
    stickers of as well, we will align them to a grid, i will show the way i do it, but after
    awhile you will no doubt find even simpler ways of aligning the font or objects.

The Grid Cells need to be as large as your biggest object, once your largest object is
    aligned you can then make the grid up for the rest, then align them to the center of
    each grid cell, this is important, make certain that you align them to the CENTER of the
    Cell, not the bottom or left, it must be the center or the sheet will fail, i learn that
    the hard way, Thanks Someonesane for enlightening me to this fact.
    So for me the letter capitol A was roughly the biggest object and i decided that if any
    other letters were bigger than that i would resize the individual letters slightly to fit the grids cells.

I grab a ruler out, on a separate layer that i named Grid, i then turn the visibility
    off of all the other letters except the one Iím working on, then i grab the ruler and place
    it over the letter horizontally, then holding down the Alt key (option on Macs) i left click
    on the ruler and resize it until thereís a little bit of ruler over top of the letter A and
    under the bottom, once i have the ruler the right size itís just a matter of ruling the lines
    down the page, lining the top of the ruler up with the bottom of each new ruled line.

I do exactly the same vertically until i think i have enough grid to place all my letters,
    Glyphs and Numbers.

Name:  Resize Ruler.png
Views: 3041
Size:  25.9 KB Name:  Resize RulerVertical.png
Views: 3062
Size:  26.6 KB

Next i select the new Transform Tool down the bottom on the Tools Widget and
    move all the text into their correct cells until i have this result.

Name:  Moving into place.png
Views: 3147
Size:  140.6 KB

Now that you have aligned all your Alphabet, itís time to pretty it up, i prettied mine
    using ArtRage Studio Pro, through using some filters and a bit of painting, itís up to
    your personal taste how you would like it to look. Itís important to have the letters
    aligned before this step; it will save a lot headache later.

Name:  Text Ready For Maps.png
Views: 3053
Size:  264.0 KB
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    The next step is to create a greyscaled copy of your text, when creating maps they need to have
    the colour information removed to work properly.To do this weíll use the Adjust Layer Colours Tool
    in the Edit Menu to remove all the colour information.

Name:  Adjusting Colours.png
Views: 3012
Size:  74.4 KB

Greayscaled Version
    Name:  Greyscale copy.png
Views: 2977
Size:  168.2 KB

Next weíll make the Texture map.
    Rule No.1 Always use high contrast when making maps, if your making a glossy surface on your sticker,
    use pure white and pure black, if you use a shade of grey, you may get results that you
    werenít expecting, and this is where the creativity comes in, playing with different shades of black
    and white produce different results in themselves, but also where you place different colours on
    your maps changes the results too.

Rule No.2 Texture, Gloss & Metallic Maps must have a black background, if you have no background,
    ArtRage will think that you want shiny goo all over the place lol

I have painted this texture map in ArtRage, as i have designed and painted the whole sticker sheet,
    i painted the white areas pure white and the black areas pure black. Hereís my example, try to come
    close to mine for the sticker to work in this tutorial.

Name:  Texture Map Final.png
Views: 3408
Size:  148.7 KB

Next up weíll make the gloss map. I have filled a copy of the greyscale version of the Alphabet i made
    earlier with white with the new Fill Tool, doing this left some areaís not quite white and this effect
    worked well, keep in mind, itís worth playing around with different white values, but the best effects come
    from using values that are close to white or black.

Name:  Gloss Map Final.png
Views: 2885
Size:  124.8 KB

Finally the Colour Map is a copy of my prettied up text, without a canvas, so i replaced the canvas
    with the Cell Canvas in the Special Section of the Canvas Presets, if you use anything else you will get
    unwanted artifacts around your letters, i have made the colour pure red (Pure red is the start of colour
    calculation inside ARís brains), so the end user can select the colour accurately to spray the
    Alphabet Stickers around.

Name:  Colour Map Fnial.png
Views: 3422
Size:  205.9 KB
    Last edited by Silentman; 12-15-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    Now start a new file and choose window size, it will do for this purpose. Then open
    the Sticker Pod and select new.

Name:  Sticker New.png
Views: 2890
Size:  77.5 KB

Now click on the lower colour map slot and navigate to your Colour Map. Now click on
    the Upper Layer Texture map Slot and navigate to your Texture map. Finally click
    on the Upper Layer Gloss Map Slot and navigate to it as well, the reason i chose the upper layer
    for both the Gloss and Texture maps is because it will give my Alphabet a subtle but noticeable gleam,
    this is also the method i used previously to get the glossy dome shape for my
    Jokerman Alphabet Sticker Set.

The Correct Slots

Name:  Correct slots.png
Views: 2936
Size:  33.9 KB

Next select the amount of Rows and Columns you need, mine was 10 by 4, if you aligned the Alphabet
    in the correct fashion in a previous step the column and row lines will fit perfectly in between your letters.

Name:  Columns & Rows.png
Views: 2905
Size:  16.3 KB

Now near the top of the Sticker Creation Panel you need to select which group the sticker sheet
    will go into and what name you would like to call it, make sure you do this as finding a lost sticker sheet
    can be a pain, trust me, Iíve done that several times throughout this tutorial lol, itís very easy to forget.

Name:  Group & Name.png
Views: 2874
Size:  6.8 KB
    Last edited by Silentman; 12-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    The Final Product and a Glimpse of some of my Future Projects

Name:  Sticker Example.png
Views: 2901
Size:  125.2 KB

Some Other Sticker Sets i'm working on

Name:  Fut 01.png
Views: 2875
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  Fut 02.png
Views: 3225
Size:  169.2 KB

I really hope this tutorial gives you a head start to make some awesome stickers, this information is not only good for Alphabets but objects off all sorts, the Most Important thing is to have fun and share what you've learnt

For those who would like to download the PDF file you can grab it here:

Here's the .stk files, just open AR3 and select new sticker then from the drop down select import stickers and then navigate to where you saved the stickers. TIP: if you hold down control and drag the top of the sticker creation panel frame you can enlarge it quite a bit, then click on the different maps in the different map slots to see what's going on, it's a great way to see how other advanced stickers are made, especially do this with the Cooper Shiny Sticker.

The Files: Almonte Test 01.stk is the dull maps example, Almonte Test 02.stk is the shiny maps example, have a look at both to see the difference in the maps:

Almonte Test 01.stk Almonte Test 02.stk
    Last edited by Silentman; 12-16-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    That was a very concise tutorial! Is it possible to make or edit stickers in Studio or only in Pro? I started with studio because I'm not real good at whistles. You are making me regret it already!

Another question on stickers ... If I understand it right, they are on their own layer? I can't seem to find a layer for them. Am I misunderstanding or am I just not looking in the right place?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirls View Post

Another question on stickers ... If I understand it right, they are on their own layer? I can't seem to find a layer for them. Am I misunderstanding or am I just not looking in the right place?

Well that depends on what you're referring too. When pulling a sticker off of a sticker sheet, the program automatically creates a special sticker layer for that particular sticker. The only thing on that layer will be the single sticker you placed down. If you're using the Sticker Spray tool with the "Auto-Flatten" option turned off, you'd be able drop a number of the stickers on the same layer, all of which would then be allowed to be rotated, scaled, moved and have hue/tint/brightness/shadows/etc changes to them by right clicking on them. Then you have the creation of the sticker itself. When making a sticker in the sticker creator (this is a Pro feature) one has access to add images to an Upper or Lower layer. Doing so changes the appearance of how that sticker will look when being used in ArtRage.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    You're up!
    http://www.squidoo.com/artrage-stickers#module74258131

Do you want me to link to the pdf? Or will that possibly overload your sharing site... thing...?

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Flynn and yes please do link the PDF, no overload problems at Rapishare

Edit: found a small error on the 1st page Flynn
    each letter must be on it%u2019s own layer so we can line them up individually in the grid in a later step.
    should be it's, thanks again for putting up there

Actually having another look it's seems to need a little more formatting, some images popping up with out text above them, they sort of look to be there for no reason, if you like just put the 1st page (the 1st post of the tutorial) and let them come read the rest of it here, it's up to you my friend
    Last edited by Silentman; 12-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery