ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Digital Paint

Digital Paint

I'm new here so hello to all.

Waiting for the AR3 update has got me reminiscing about the painting software that got me hooked on what technology could do for self-expression.

MacPaint

Released in 1984 with the original Macintosh, it opened my eyes to a whole new way of creating images. I spent hours arranging black pixels on the white canvas in perfect order, thinking I was a "Digital Seurat", and if you squinted just right, you could actually see the subtle gradations. Oh, how I loved filling areas with the revolutionary paint bucket tool.

Name:  MacpaintWP.png
Views: 206
Size:  10.1 KB

MacPaint 2.0 was released in 1988, but alas, Apple was entering it's rocky decade in the 90s, and it's software could not compete with Adobe's flashy new Photoshop 1.0.

Name:  AdobePS-107-System6.png
Views: 336
Size:  13.9 KB

Looking back, few pieces of software changed the way the game was played like MacPaint.

I suppose it's good to have some perspective on this day, as I check every hour-or-so for an update to a current favorite.

PS, as you look at these images (courtesy Wikipedia) it's fun to remember that these interfaces are at their native resolutions.

Welcome to this nice Artrage forum, JacoRoc!

You are so right, these (those?) were magic days. When I remember correctly at this time most PC Monitors were able to display 80x40 Characters in orange or green.
    holding out for management position

Just goes to show how much more power we have play with now , some times it nice to look back stops you taking things for granted .