ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo or Intuos4 S?

Bamboo or Intuos4 S?

Hi,

As a Xmas gift I want to buy one Bamboo P&T M tablet or a Intuos 4S?

Bamboo is A5 and Intuos4 is A6, of course Intuos4 is better than Bamboo. Thinking to use it with ArtRage, really the difference of presure levels and definition is better with Intuos4?

Salut,
    Josep

Pressure sensitivity and overall resolution should be enough on the Bamboo, especially for someone receiving it as a gift. :P I think I heard the new Bamboo tablets finally got pressure-sensitive erasers too, but not sure about this.

Other differences I consider more important are the extra buttons the Intuous offers (helps a lot if you have to use the computer's keyboard less often), and tilt sensitivity (so you can turn your brush in ArtRage by turning the pen around, or actually use the air brush tool -- but maybe someone who actually has a Bamboo can chime in on this).

Artrage 2.5 and 3 support tilt only for the airbrush and glitter gun.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Quote Originally Posted by Borilius View Post
    Artrage 2.5 and 3 support tilt only for the airbrush and glitter gun.
    At least the direction in which the pen is tilted makes a difference for the oil brush and the pencil. Can the Bamboo tell the direction?

I use a relatively new Bamboo (A5) and yes it does appear to have pressure sensitive eraser, but it can't tell which way you are facing the 'pen'; no tilt sensitivity.
    I tend to use the precise mode rather than seeing the actual shape of the brush etc so it doesn't bother me too much. Having said that if you are keen on using the airbrush it can be a little annoying to get the tilt working right...

Hi,

So the tilt feature of Intuos4 isn't no available for all the tools in ArtRage? I see in the pen that have the tilt option...

The new Bamboo have the pressure levels and sensivity of old Intuos3 without the tilt.

Salut,
    Josep

Quote Originally Posted by JosepM View Post
    So the tilt feature of Intuos4 isn't no available for all the tools in ArtRage? I see in the pen that have the tilt option...
    It makes a rather large difference if you are using the air brush tool, and in a similar way for the glitter gun.

With the oil brush, it only makes a difference when you're just touching the canvas with the pen, and only in so far as that it uses the direction your pen is facing to orient the brush. As soon as you start moving the pen, the brush will orient itself according to your drawing direction. So this is kind of only important for drawing styles that require short touches. (E.g. if you like Bob Ross and want to paint a bunch of happy bushes to go with your happy trees or something.)

The pencil also uses the direction, but you really only notice if you zoom in and use a large tool size. Also, it doesn't seem to use the tilt strength from the tablet, only the direction, and you need to adjust the strength with the dial.

I don't know yet if this is similar for the AR 3 inking pen, did anyone of the beta testers try this?

@Danny the Fool - Blimey I'd struggled for hours trying to control the oil brush direction - never realised it was tilt controlled - thank you for sharing this undocumented feature (a bit obvious now that I know about it )

Intuos 4

I'm really keen to buy a small version of the Intuos 4. I understand it has more pressure and tilt possibilities. I currently have an old A5 Intuos 3. Can anyone verify the these increased capabilities work well in AR3?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
    I'm really keen to buy a small version of the Intuos 4. I understand it has more pressure and tilt possibilities. I currently have an old A5 Intuos 3. Can anyone verify the these increased capabilities work well in AR3?

Thanks
    They all work fine. However I personally don't like Intuos4 because the new shortcut keys are hard to use (I have to look at my tablet everytime I use shortcut keys because they are of the same size). Intuos3 remains my favorite.