Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another Blending exersize!

amazing work Flyashy. beautiful. love the canvas too. I will love to give that a try. Hope we can get a good blending technique for oil figured out.
    Having a bit of trouble loading the canvas. Maybe seems because the preset was made in ar2.5 or I do not have the grain file maybe?
    I am thinking you need a grain file to go with the preset? (.cpr)
    I would really like the real canvas preset in ar 3. I have mr. paint's grain files but the presets not working for me in ar3.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-31-2009 at 05:59 PM.

That is really beautiful work. I hope you finish it one day.

Hi GZ,
    I didn't know about the grain file. I'll have to figure out a way to attach that within the cpr. maybe someone can help us there, or i'll hunt thro the fourms to find out how to do it.
    erm.. I'm still on demo of AR3, so I couldn't load any of the canvases from before, it gives an error of a bad parameter or something. but what I did to try my old canvas was to save a blank canvas as an image and loaded it as a grain in AR3, which it still allows to do. Then I tried to match the dials till I got something similar to the original canvas I love.
    Because of the limited capabilities of AR3 demo, I can't really try a lot of things here, and SO was hoping that maybe some of you with the full version could try it out
    I suppose once I get the full version I'll have a serious go at this.

In the meantime one observation I have is the blending is seriously impacted by the paint volume on canvas. even minor variations of that tend to give those ungodly streaks, esp. near areas of higher contrast. I suppose it works best only at a particular set of variable, which is very hard to determine, since there's no way of knowing exactly how much paint is there on the canvas at a particular spot. Oh, you can see the really thick paint or the really thin paint, but what we're dealing with here is maybe a 10% variation...
    hmm..maybe if there was an alpha channel like thing that'd show us the grey scale image of the paint thickness, or maybe even a cursor info/tracker that could have a paint volume parameter. then we could make it a point to cover the entire canvas with at least that much paint before trying to blend.
    Oh, also iut seems to have a top threshold too, so too much paint also give streaks..
    *sigh*
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Hi Eileen,
    thanks for the update, glad to hear you're going at it too as I mentioned in the earlier reply, a lot of things/variables seem to be at play here. I'll also keep trying to narrow the tweaks down to something usable for all...
    thanks,
    fly

Thank you so much Vivien.
    I hope so too

Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    Hi GZ,
    I didn't know about the grain file. I'll have to figure out a way to attach that within the cpr. maybe someone can help us there, or i'll hunt thro the fourms to find out how to do it.
    erm.. I'm still on demo of AR3, so I couldn't load any of the canvases from before, it gives an error of a bad parameter or something. but what I did to try my old canvas was to save a blank canvas as an image and loaded it as a grain in AR3, which it still allows to do. Then I tried to match the dials till I got something similar to the original canvas I love.
    Because of the limited capabilities of AR3 demo, I can't really try a lot of things here, and SO was hoping that maybe some of you with the full version could try it out
    I suppose once I get the full version I'll have a serious go at this.

In the meantime one observation I have is the blending is seriously impacted by the paint volume on canvas. even minor variations of that tend to give those ungodly streaks, esp. near areas of higher contrast. I suppose it works best only at a particular set of variable, which is very hard to determine, since there's no way of knowing exactly how much paint is there on the canvas at a particular spot. Oh, you can see the really thick paint or the really thin paint, but what we're dealing with here is maybe a 10% variation...
    hmm..maybe if there was an alpha channel like thing that'd show us the grey scale image of the paint thickness, or maybe even a cursor info/tracker that could have a paint volume parameter. then we could make it a point to cover the entire canvas with at least that much paint before trying to blend.
    Oh, also iut seems to have a top threshold too, so too much paint also give streaks..
    *sigh*
    ...hmmm! This is why I hardly use the oil brush and stick with the crayon tool. Blending with oils has always been a bit frustrating and unpredictable for me. I have assumed it was just my lack of knowledge and technique with the oil brush. The crayon is excellent for blending as we all know but sometimes... It just doesn't give that authentic hand painted look that the brush can deliver. I have messed around with painting and blending with the crayon tool on a smooth layer then adding paint texture and canvas texture on a layer below for the added effect of oil paint. The other problem I have with this is that I usually paint with a large size canvas to enhance detail and the larger the canvas, the less the canvas texture is visible (unless that is a setting that can be adjusted without resizing the image). Now I need to go experiment!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

I was playing around with the canvas setting in AR3 Studio Pro. The fine canvas settings set to roughness 5 and grain size 4 seems similar but real difficult to see exactly what your canvas would look like with no paint on it.