ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Monitor Brightness

Monitor Brightness

Hey everyone, have a quick question. I recently made a painting, that looks great on my monitor, but on my family's LCD monitor, it looks terrible because of the brightness.

I have an old CRT, 65 Brightness, 90 Contrast.

Is there any techniques y'all use for making a painting look consistent on different monitors?
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Fix the monitor settings.

but really, no - this is the biggest problem with digital art, really - it may still be dark green, but you can't control every montior to make sure it doesn't darken it down to black. Your painting has not changed, only the settings it is viewed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn_the_Cat View Post
    Fix the monitor settings.

but really, no - this is the biggest problem with digital art, really - it may still be dark green, but you can't control every montior to make sure it doesn't darken it down to black. Your painting has not changed, only the settings it is viewed at.
    Thanks Flynn, I understand. I was expecting as much, I guess I just wish I could change everyone's monitor to properly view what I make

Thank you!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

The words "old CRT" may tell the whole story. Google "monitor calibration"; there are free programs to help you adjust your settings.

Following up Robert's observation, the best thing to do is to calibrate your own monitor. In this way at least your are making your paintings with reasonably accurate color, light and contrast. And it will make a big difference in how a painting looks on your screen, and help give you a more satisfactory result if you like to print your paintings.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4