ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artrage 3 or twistedbrush pro?

Artrage 3 or twistedbrush pro?

Im in need for a paintprogram that somewhat mimicks realworld painting.

I was going to register twistedbrush pro. But then I saw that Artrage 3 is on its way.

I don't want to wait for 2-3 month.
    I need a program with painterlike brushes quite soon.

Is there some release or public alpha planned or is there a way to sign up for betatesting?

More like 2-3 weeks

But you can buy ArtRage 2.5 which is great, and upgrade as soon as it's released

Artrage 2 is nice but is a litte to basic for my needs.

So I guess I will just have to wait for artrage 3 than.

Are you sure you've looked at the full arsenal that version 2.5 has to offer?

Full psd blending modes, canvas textures, stencils etc - and all for 25$. It's a very capable software and mimics the real world painting experience better than a lot of others I've looked at.

Just a thought.
    I'm a pro and the attached image was done entirely in ArtRage 2.5 to support an editorial in ImagineFX mag some time ago, about budget software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nick-Harris-Some-New-Fangled-Nonsense.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	37067  
    Last edited by Nickillus; 12-09-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

It's a good point. Twisted Brush is very cheap, only $40 more than AR 3. It is very like Painter, if a little dull and confusing on the interface side, but extremely useful and there are thousands of brushes and features.

I've had TB for a number of years but only experimented with it and haven't used it for a real job therefore I can't comment on stability (it hasn't crashed so far). I think I agree that AR2.5 is probably slightly limited compared to TwistedBrush16 (yes, 16!). AR3 looks to be more competitive and probably, given the pre-release information, a better, more user friendly application.

Heck. How would you know what brush is right for the job with such a massive choice? What I love about AR is that you select 1 tool and alter its settings to get the right brush for the job. Simple, uncluttered and very elegant. And of course version 3 is hardly going to be less functional. It is fair to expect a good deal more functionality. I tingle to think what AR16 will be like if it is already this good at 3.
    I guess I'm being predictable and saying I would choose ArtRage!

Nickillus
    Thanks for the demo, very nice painting! And the rest of you guys for the replies.

Im also pro.

You are right, I havn't tried 2.5 full version. What I tried perhaps a year back was the simplier version.

As for the brushes there are a couple of brush types I use because it speeds up getting to the result I want.

Its not hard to find the right brush in Twisted Brush since they are divided into categories and you can customize your own category.

I also prefere to be able to tweak the brushes myself but I found the brushes in TB to be good enough. Though some of them became quite slow when making them big.

What I don't really like with TB is that you don't seem to be able to change shortcuts and since good shortcuts really speedup the workflow its a minus.

Right now it looks like I will be getting Artrage 3 when it comes.

And Twisted Brush is Windows only, no brainer for my MAC.... I'll keep AR 2.5 and will rejoice at AR 3, when it is ready.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

I'd say that artrage is a better choice if you don't like the gui to be getting too much in the way of creativity. Thats probably my favorite feature about artrage- its clean, simple and effective. The gui is original and well thought. In other apps, the gui is cluttered, annoying and grey

I have TB and ArtRage. Quit using TB because it's not as intuitive as AR. And AR3 puts TB in the dust.

Just my opinion

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne