ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this ever happen to you?

Does this ever happen to you?

I begin a project and have made up my mind to use layers. I begin by drawing the basic outline on one layer, then proceed to the next to paint something in, on to a third, etc...
    Soon I find out that I have been doing grass on the sky layer or clouds on the building level. All mixed up.
    Is this old age or does everyone do this?

It happens to me all the time... I can't think of a painting I've done that I didn't cross layers on. ...of course that could still be just age for me too
    "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

LOL you guys are cute
    I slip up sometimes, but find that if i name my layers meaningfully eg/ sky layer, grass layer and think about what i'm working on i get in the habit of going to the correct layer before making my marks. I also tend to merge them as soon as i possibly can (often renaming them to reflect the new merge) so that i dont end up with endless stacks of layers and no RAM left to work on them with. I save off a new iteration of the file eg/ filename01.ptg, filename02.ptg ... to ensure i have the layers in backup should i ever need to get back to one on its own. If i do i export that layer only out of the layered file and import it into the current file.
    Last edited by Juz; 12-07-2009 at 11:35 PM.

We should ask for a "split this layer" function when version 5 enters....

Really, I do it all the time. If I'm not too far away ,I try to correct it.Or go to the latest saved file. I always save to different files;This one got me out of trouble many times !
    For example: you make a painting,and spend way too much time on it, and find it is your masterwork,up to that moment......That's the moment a message from the client enters,asking, could you not change the color of the shirt from yellow to green ?
    (in version3 ,it will be a 2 clicks solution)

So make yourself used to paint in different layers, and saving to different files.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Actually, shirt colour's easy to fix, just paint on a new layer set to colour blend mode....

*knows that wasn't the point, but couldn't resist*

Agreed,but wouldn't it be nice to simply adjust a few sliders , while in that layer ?
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

That happens to me always, again and again
    So sometimes I draw without using layers, when the painting is simple enough

Having also done it a few times, I just copy the layer and erase what should not be there. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Raybrite View Post
    I begin a project and have made up my mind to use layers. I begin by drawing the basic outline on one layer, then proceed to the next to paint something in, on to a third, etc...
    Soon I find out that I have been doing grass on the sky layer or clouds on the building level. All mixed up.
    Is this old age or does everyone do this?
    As a website designer that uses Photoshop CS4, It happens to me all time hahahah. I got into the habit of naming my layers, but I couldn't stick to it and now I'm bad about working on the wrong layer again.
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

I would think grouping would take care of the problem along with naming the groups. If the group is closed, you won't see the layers in them to paint in the wrong spot.

Do I do this - sometimes when I have loads of layers

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne