Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How sensitive are the new Wacom tablets

Gallery
    View images

How sensitive are the new Wacom tablets

I have an old graphire tablet (probably the first one)

Been using it about 12 years now. I just keep cutting a piece of transperancy film for laser printers to the size of my graphire and scotch taping it to it.

This keeps the area really smooth for the pen.

So when you use the Intuos or Cintiq, can you control the sensitivity?

On the Graphire 3 (before I gave it to my grandson), it would move (lay down paint) even if I was hovering over the tablet.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Gallery
    View images
    I use Intuos 3 and Intuos 4 in my spare time. In my opinion the Intous 3 pen walks smoother over the tablet. The Intuos 4 surface seems to be more porous. That's the reason you got a better feedback from the pen stroke. But I needed some weeks if I was familiar with it. The changed surface is maybe the reason that the Intuos 4 pen head faster wear down.

I believe you have to try it yourself, some store here let the buyer try various tablets before you buy,buyers may try from bamboo to cintiq, about the sensitivity, some intuos 4 had a defect, not many though, by just tapping the pen above the active area, the brush will paint. I have my first tablet with intuos4, een using along time ago, i don't what series it was, but this one is really like a pencil, but i modified it anyway, because i don't like the surface which is getting slippier day to day, especially in the middle area, that's why i put a photo laminate paper and crafting a bamboo toothpick for the nib, now it really has a pencil feel. hope this give you some insight, i've been wandering through their forum too, and found out it was not just me having fast worn flattering nibs.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Judith,

I have just gone from the Intuos to the Cintiq and back again.

Everything is adjustable, with either of them you can hover and click then drag the painting about.

I would say that if you cannot afford a big Cintiq then don't bother with them.
    I have the basic model and needed a monitor to get an overall view. That sort of defeats the object. It is wonderful to have the paint appearing under the nib, but if. like me, you sometimes want make bold strokes and just go for it then it's not the ideal tool. Fashmir has the top of the range model at work and will be able to give his view on that.

The small Cintiq had a personality clash while using AR3 on my other machine, the Intuos worked like a dream. I don't know what the problem is yet. I suspect it may well be that PC rather then AR3.

When I get the opportunity to hook it up to my other, new, go-faster model and load AR3 it may be perfectly ok. No one else seems to have had the problem.

To sum up, I find the small Cintiq is like trying to decorate the hallway while standing outside and working through the letter box. The Intuos is smooth and simple to use.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Judith you'll be happy even with a bamboo. Intuos 3 and 4 are great, tho the new surface on the four can chew through your pen nibs a lot quicker.

The best way to imagine it is to think of pressure levels as a greyscale where each grey is a degree of hand pressure. Therefore anything over 128 levels is pretty much superfluous. Even a surgeon will not have more degrees of hand lightness/heaviness. It does make a good selling point to say more and more but in practical use terms you really wont be there saying 'oh my intuos 4 is so much more sensitive than my 3 was'. When the first cintiq came out no complaints emerged about it having only half the pressure levels of the intuos 3 at the time. There was really no perceivable difference between the intuos 2 and 3 either.
    Last edited by Juz; 12-05-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    I have had every version, including graphire 4, since the beginning of Intuos. I had 2 of those, a 2, and a 3... and have not gone to 4. Drivers seem to be an issue with Windows 7 apprently and the latest driver froze up my system, so reverted back. Last I heard they pulled the new driver, but they may have fixed it by now.

Anyway, pressure is nice when you are doing fine work and actually need it. I have a light stroke and like fine soft paintings, so I work with as few hairs as possible. Get what you can afford. You will never be sorry you got one. I like 3 because of its design. But frankly, it does what my others did, a few buttons, pretty face, and certainly some revisions underneath.

Gallery
    View images
    I am indeed happy with my older Bamboo and its 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. As I see it, the main difference to the Intuos is the lack of tilt recognition, but at least with ArtRage I haven't missed it.

Argh. I know of a really useful tutorial for adjusting the pressure sensitivity of most every Wacom product, but I'm not allowed to post URLs as I just joined this forum yesterday. Oh well, if you're interested, go to the ConceptArt.org forum section HARDWARE & SOFTWARE subsection WACOM, and check out the first sticky, "How to easily make your Cintiq/tablet better." You'll find the tutorial linked from there.

Gallery
    View images
    I've used a Wacom "UD" tablet since the early 90's. The pen died...although there are instructions for repairing it online. I went ahead and got the Intuous 4 about six weeks ago. I love it.

The sensitivity is far superior and there are several features that improve productivity for me. One is the "Display toggle" which allows you to change the mapping from dual monitors to each specific monitor. I also love the "thumbwheel" selector for zooming and changing brush sizes "on the fly." Also the precision mode is very useful for fine work.

Also...you can use the eraser end of the pen as an alternate pen...I set the tilt sensitively to normal and the tip feel to firm and use it for navigation -- the regular tip is set to high and soft, but it is too sensitive for navigation, imho.

I love the "spring" loaded nib and with the setting of High Tilt Sensitivity and Soft Tip Feel I can get much more nuanced with painting.

I hope this helps...
    Last edited by Adman; 12-06-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Well young man, now I am an intrigued Intuos 4 person. It sounds like the pen is worth the investment. I do love my 3... I have two of them, one on desktop and one on laptop. So, time will tell. Thanks for the input as it is nice info. Durn Wacom, they always come up with something.

Gallery
    View images
    Kantis,

I think I would like to kissa ya face. Even though I have the original Graphire, I went to:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862

then to the directions:

http://junkyardsam.blogspot.com/2009...djustment.html

Did what the directions said except I couldn't shut off my tablet or the cursor wouldn't work. So I went right to my Wacom_Tabelet.dat file.

Yes I saved the old one with a different name just in case.

After playing with the PressureCurveControlPoint to have this (20 0 46 375 225 511), I now have small line going to bigger line with the pressure I apply as you can see below. I am so excited that I don't have to press as hard to get what I want. Now to get rid of my heavy handed ways (LOL)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sesitivitychange.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	36978  

See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne