ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: a little 3d trick

a little 3d trick

If you do 3d here is a little trick for making a pseudo bump maps for ropey oil painting textures: Start by making a thick and juicy oil painting then make a new layer and select a middle grey colour and take the spray tool and just paint the whole layer. The ridges from the colour layer will be preserved in the new grey layer. Now you can use the original paint layer in the colour layer of your 3d material and use the grey layer as your bump texture to add a little more zing. While it is not a true bump map it does have a nice effect. Here is a screen grab showing a mountain painting made in Artrage and then used in a Cinema 4d render. (click for full size)

It would be awesome if you could export a true bump map from Artrage...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting_bump.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	36800  
    Last edited by soapy; 12-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

It would be awesome if you could export a true bump map from Artrage...
    You can. Just select the layer who's bump info you want, hold down shift and select export layer. Now go look where you elected to save your file. It's an undocumented feature. Give it a try.
    Last edited by Fashmir; 12-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    I never thought about that. You just gave me a great idea. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    You can. Just select the layer who's bump info you want, hold down shift and select export layer. Now go look where you elected to save your file. It's an undocumented feature. Give it a try.
    Kool tip Fashmir! Thanks ever so much. I might not have figured that our for ages. Now I see that in V3 Pro the option to export layer to channels! Which is even better since it splits the image into bump map, color map, etc. Which is huge for me and my 3d projects.

This is truly an OMG moment for me. Being able to make bumpy mixed color paint for 3d objects is what I have been looking for.

Sorry about the slow response here I did not get an email notice.

Ah yes, export layer to channels works nicely! Here is a little test with the color channel and bump channel. Good result. Now I can paint oily textures onto anything I want. This is a render from cinema 4d again. I will be able to use the bump map in the displacement mapping in cinema to raise the paint right off the models. I am so happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Artrageous!

A little artrageous ropey paint texture applied to a 3d model in cinema 4d. Using the bump map in the displacement channel even pops the paint out from the surface of the model.

Super happy tonight!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by soapy; 01-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.