ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to begin for my non-artist friend(s)?

Where to begin for my non-artist friend(s)?

Perhaps this topic has been addressed in another thread; if so, just point me there. If not, then, with version 3 so imminent and given the genius I see in ArtRage, I want everybody I know to jump right in Well, that is part my well wishing, but, still I have at least one friend I know who doesn't consider herself an artist and hasn't dabbled since fingerpainting 50 years ago. Is there a place she can just start and find some success-enough to be encouraging? Success meaning, she likes what she sees and wants to do more. The software for her would be easily affordable but I am not a good coach other than to say "you, go girl".

The other kindred topic to me would be how do you express your emotions by texture, color, media, etc? Again where to begin. Thanks for any comments.

I think any beginner could make wonderful paintings with ArtRage. There is nothing mystical or magical about art. It's learned just like Math, Science etc.

When the magic happens is when a persons lets their creativity flow. ArtRage does this beautifully.

For Instance,

You could fill the background with black and then paint a stroke of oil paint or use the paint tube. Then simply use the palette knife to see how far you can push the paint. As it spreads, let your imagination see things you could create if you push it this way or that way.

It's an awesome exercise.

I've created many paintings this way.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Judith,
    Now, that is exactly what I needed to know. So simple it eludes me. The whole how to turn off the performance orientation and the ought's, should's and must's. Thanks!!

Rose,
    I've been to your website and have seen your art...you are tremendously gifted. And humble about it at that. My latest idea is because I think it is God given, He can give it if you ask for it so I will pray for her to find her way. Unique to the individual. No two snowflakes alike. I look forward to seeing the results. (And, yikes, I will pray for me, too, just to have fun with AR.) Play is a good word. Thanks!!

One more thing. I intend to send out an email to everyone on my contact list and explain AR and give them a link so they can see AR 3 in action. Talking it up is really just telling the truth.

Never did enjoy work. Love to play. Met a man in Washington State who rebuild small airplanes. Had a hangar at his house with three airplanes in it. Asked him why he didn't do that for a living. He said he wouldn't enjoy it anymore if he had to do it.
    Why not just let your friend play with your tablet and pen and when she does something, praise it as it will be the first and defintely better than anything before. Fix it so it is like finger paints and bring back the childhood. She may not want to let you have your pen back.
    I started with a book on drawing flowers and a pencil and paper.

I recommend a book called 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Drawing-.../dp/0007116454

As the title suggests it focuses on the what we should and shouldn't be thinking about while drawing a subject. ArtRage has a great pencil tool so the excercises are easily adapted to digital drawing. She has some nice little tricks to show you how much your pre-conceived ideas get in the way of being able to draw. One well known example - she provides an image and invites you to copy it, then turn it upside down and copy it again, focusing purely on the shapes and patterns rather than the subject matter. More often than not you find the upside down version is much more accurate.

I must pick that up again.

Or...just open ArtRage and play play play. Paint something and quit without saving it. Open ArtRage and paint the same thing again etc. Eventually you will be able to paint that thing well enough to want to save it. Something I find really hard to do, but occasionally I do remember it is good not to get too precious about each piece.

Another one - take lots of photos of different skies and use them as your base canvas. Look for shapes in the clouds that may suggest subject matter.

I really should do these excercises more!

Hope that helps a little for starters anyway.
    Last edited by Boxy; 12-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.

I have to 2nd Boxy's suggestion. I took a class based around that book. There were a lot of people who had no experience in the class that had great results. A lot of it will *seem* silly and pointless, but if you have the discipline to persevere, it will pay off.... Kinda like the whole wax-on wax-off kinda thing i guess

There's the rub Rose - I can only draw standing on my head! Now all the hair has worn away up there

These are all fantastic suggestions.

Another thing you could get her to try is to load in a photo and use the trace photo option starting with a huge oversized brush and gradually sizing down to a fine one for details like faces... this will give her the success all new users crave without having to worry too much about the program or drawing (both of which can be an intimidating learning curve to new users to begin with)