Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Byron's ArtRage Explorations

Wow....byroncallas, all paintings looks very very beautiful. You have produced all beautiful abstract painting.
    There are full of an artistic objects and environment surrounding us. So don’t worry to get any idea for painting.....Khalid
    My Gallery : Khalid_ipda
    My Tutorial : How to paint water? How to paint trees? How to paint waterfall?
    My 2nd email:
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedie View Post
    Great works all over. You must be full of energy producing such a lot of imagery. One question; where do you get your inspiration? For me it seems like you are in love with the medium and the tool itself, I mean the computer and ArtRage. True? Ore are your pictures results of some imagination or some dreams? Me, myself, always get inspiration outside myself in the "real" world. Are your images all computer/artrage-dreams? I wonder...
    Thank you Sweedie. I much appreciate you dropping by and sharing your thoughts. I'm such an admirer of your work, so it's nice to have you drop by, comment, and question.

To answer your question, and thanks for asking, I think it's fair to say I get my inspiration from a myriad of sources both internal and in the "real" world. While I love the computer and Artrage (and other forms of image generation both traditional and modern) I can't say they are the inspiration. They are tools that make it possible to translate ideas into visual reality, and different tools result in different outcomes, something I know you well understand.

A lot of inspiration comes as pieces develop. What's already on the canvas seems to inspire new directions, either for the painting at hand or for other new paintings. [In this sense, a tool (like Artrage) contributes to inspiration by suddenly revealing new possibilities in the act of using it.] It's a sort of visual feedback loop of looking, evaluating, making a decision, acting with a stroke, and starting with looking again. I look a lot. And I undo a lot.

I don't mean to be obscure, but as a painting develops the inspiration to move it forward to what it becomes comes from the work-in-progress itself. I liken it to an evolving conversation between me and what's already on the canvas. We conspire together to move an idea forward. Progress may deviate considerably from any originating idea by the time it is completed. In the process there may be a lot of creation and destruction until the final image materializes, settles down, and comes to completion. In a sense, inspiration is always fresh, in the moment.

I suppose my greatest inspiration for process came when viewing the 1954 film "The Mystery of Picasso" which showed him creating 20 paintings from start to finish, clearly drawing on the entirety of his experinece both internal and external, and allowing the painting at hand to inform the next action. That action could include destroying the whole of the work to that point, having triggered new directions that resulted in complete replacement.

That film was liberating for me. After seeing it I found the whole of my experinece, which of course includes the "real" world, was a breeding ground for ideas, and any idea was worth a shot to see if it had legs. I only needed the courage to give it a shot. The only limitation becomes my personal aesthetic sensibilities, which are visible in my output. From time to time it's probably a good idea for me to challenge those sensibilities before becoming entrenched in an inextricable aesthetic rut.

In closing, I doubt there is anything special or unusual about my process. It would describe one not unlike that of some landscape painters (for example) who paint large and very realistic landscapes from their imagination.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-15-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Khalid, thank you so much for dropping by, and for your encouraging feedback.

Very inspiring question and answer from both Sweedie and Bryon about abstract paintings or even about to make a painting.

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    .....A lot of inspiration comes as pieces develop. What's already on the canvas seems to inspire new directions, either for the painting at hand or for other new paintings. [In this sense, a tool (like Artrage) contributes to inspiration by suddenly revealing new possibilities in the act of using it.] It's a sort of visual feedback loop of looking, evaluating, making a decision, acting with a stroke, and starting with looking again....

Byron, since I am not good in expressing/writing in English, you have said it very well...that is how I did my abstract. That's why I love Artrage very much. I felt once I use the tools, the hand just flows..and let it guides naturally my next move.

...comes from the work-in-progress itself. I liken it to an evolving conversation between me and what's already on the canvas. We conspire together to move an idea forward.....

that's how I felt when I use Artrage to do my paintings, I felt talking to them. glad to know I'm not crazy.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts.

Hi Pai, thank you ever so much for your feedback and thoughts.

You are not at all crazy. I don't think there is anything unusual about the process. It's a description of how many people experience the creative process - the act of creation. It is not unlike a similar process that some writers experience in writing a novel, or some composers experience when composing a symphony.

I think it is hard for anyone to articulate their experience of the creative process, and I've taken a shot at explaining what it's like for me. Of course, other people may have an altogether different experience and approach to working. But the one I have described I believe is a common one, and why you are able to easily identify it as at least one way that you create paintings.

Thanks again for responding. It's helpful to know that writing things like this serve a purpose. I appreciate the feedback very much.

Hi Byron! The last time I was on this thread I was unable to view anything. As the thread got longer I was reluctant to even start in on it, but I am glad I did.
    The paintings are remarkable ( faint praise, but words fail me after looking through them all in 30 minutes time). The instructions will take time ( and AR3) to begin to digest.
    I have to say, the Artrage guys chose well when asking you to do Beta testing!
    Your description of the creative process was right on. You phrased it in a more concise and perfect way than I think I have ever seen in written, and I saved that to put somewhere where I can read it again and again, when I say I feel no inspiration.
    And I am wondering if that Picasso movie is out there somewhere, still to be seen. I am wondering if you recall the name? Or maybe you already gave that?--my head is still spinning from this thread!
    Great work! Thanks for doing it.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Rob, thank you ever so much. I'm VERY happy you had a chance to spend a little time with the thread - you being one of the first people to greet me with open arms (open canvas maybe?) into this wonderful forum. I've appreciated your feedback and enthusiasm from day one. I've said it before and I'll say it a again, you're a prince.

I believe you can get the movie "The Mystery of Picasso" at Amazon. It's an inspirational, near enlightening experience, especially the very last section. It's been over 20 years since I last saw it. But it remains one of the most influential experiences of my life.

Thanks again my good friend.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-15-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Byron can you imagine your paintings arranged in a large modern hall, a soft background music. Wow, color and joy to all sides. He, he, I can imagine ... A work of first lead in digital art.

I am happy to report that "The Mystery of Picasso" is actually available from Netflixs!! I am getting it! Thanks for the recommendation.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

I keep looking through Byron, you are amazing with colour.
    I love the foil effect sticker you created, turned out really well.
    You've really beta tested well and provided some great tutorials , thank you for your beta testing, we should have a good stable software, thanks to you guys syphoning out the bugs.
    Really great work unique to you Byron, well done.
    Sandyg.