Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artrage and Painter

Gallery
    View images

Artrage and Painter

A question addressed to folks who use both of these software applications.

For which aspects of your paintings do you more gravitate to either?
    What would you consider to be their relative strengths and weaknesses?

I was considering purchasing Painter a while back but am now not so sure,
    (Perhaps this question is a bit premature with the imminent release of AR 3.0 but comments re experience to date would be most interesting...)

Thanks for your insights

Gallery
    View images
    I have the same wonder, but I have used the free trial that Corel is offering for the last two or three releases. As far as I can tell:
    Painter has the more powerful tools, Artrage has the less annoying interface. However, the tools that Artrage actually offers aren't in any way worse than Painter's, it's just that they're much less flexible and there are less tools to begin with. What they do, they do well. Painter handles large images a bit more gracefully than Artrage and crashes less often. Artrage gets you results quicker. Painter requires more involvement with the software before you get good results. Artrage appears to be better integrated with tablets. I think the latest version of Painter is where it finally learned to use the tilt information. If you're using a Cintiq tablet or a touchscreen, then the UI of Artrage is much easier to use, Painter is a pain on anything with the parallax error of a Cintiq due to the small menus and buttons.
    Last not least, Painter costs up to 20 times as much as Artrage (if you're in Europe) but isn't 20 times as good.

If you are in the US then the price difference will be much smaller.
    If you are on Windows then the Painter UI will not suck quite so horribly.

If you are in the US and very quick with your decisions, you can currently (today and tomorrow or so, don't know exactly) get Painter 11 from corel.com for $262 (black friday deal for electronic download $319, discount code DPC20OFF for another 20% off). In the EU you're stuck with the regular $620 price tag, which it definitely isn't worth unless you require it professionally.

My personal opinion of Painter is such that I'd have a hard time justifying even $262 with money not being an issue. Of course, you should try the demo yourself and not just take my word for it. If you haven't bought either Artrage or Painter, I recommend you get Artrage. You can hardly make a mistake at $25.
    Last edited by Danny the Fool; 11-28-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Painter has more tools and highly customizable tools. Some methods it has that ArtRage does not are: simulated watercolor, flat bristle brushes, grainy airbrushes, Image Hose (paints with custom image clips), Liquid Ink (with simulated surface tension), mosaics. Watercolor is in upcoming AR3, but I am not sure about other things.

In general, Painter tools are more versatile and you can alter them to your needs. Getting the precise effect that you need can be tricky, of course. AR tools are often rich in default features but not numerous and not very customizable.

Painter supports multiple pens on the same tablet - you can assign a different tool to each tip, and just switch the styluses. I had requested this feature for AR3, but I don't know whether it will be included.

Painter, in my experience, is much better at handling bigger file sizes. It is also faster. I generally use AR for sketching, but for finishing it has been easier to move to Painter - again, I can't say what AR3 speed will be. Still, I can't work in AR on production size canvases; it grinds down to near halt. Painter does not.

Gallery
    View images
    P.S. That said, Painter has been in development quagmire since version 7. Current is 11. Got sold twice in that time, and every version by Corel - since version 8 - has been released buggy and Corel had been making new versions, essentially, out of bugfixes instead of focusing on the program's functionality. Corel simply do not seem to know what to do with the program; they had been gradually making its interface a Photoshop clone and had been trying to position it as a tool for retouching photos - when its strength is freehand painting. So caveat emptor.

If you can get a copy of Painter 6, you might like that version. It does not have simulated watercolor - which is, frankly, unusable on production file sizes due to its slowness - or some niceties like rendered brush strokes, but it is still the best version to date in terms of speed and ease of use.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    If you can get a copy of Painter 6, you might like that version. It does not have simulated watercolor - which is, frankly, unusable on production file sizes due to its slowness - or some niceties like rendered brush strokes, but it is still the best version to date in terms of speed and ease of use.
    This is only an option for Windows users. But IIRC it would make you eligible for an upgrade to Painter 11 too.

Let's hope the watercolour feature in AR 3 is better than Painter's :-)

Gallery
    View images
    I use both and agree with all points raised by Arenhaus. I would reiterate just how buggy the Painter software is on both Mac and PC and the bugs tend to cause crashes to desktop resulting in a loss of work if you aren't constantly saving as you go.

I would add that painters interface both new and old is very non-intuitive and it will take a long time to learn to get around in the application if you are new to it as opposed to the Artrage pick up the tool and go approach.

Corel do not seem to be interested in fixing bugs but rather promise that problems will be addressed if you just buy the next version, and as Arenhaus has already pointed out this has been going on for 4 or 5 versions now.

Unless there is a particular feature from painter you need for your work that isn't covered in Artrage, I would highly recommend staying with the one you know and saving your money.

My two bobs worth anyway... hope it helps
    Last edited by Juz; 11-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Gallery
    View images

Painter vs ArtRage

Age old question--which is better.

I've been an attempted Painter user since the 1980s and there may be many levels of flexibility, I find it completely non-intuitive. I am pleased to say that ArtRage has the excitement and innovation that Corel (aka MetaCreations, aka Fractal Design) used to have.

Gallery
    View images
    I have PainterX for a long time now......I simply forgot to use it lately...You don't have to buy it yet. Unless you got money to spend...I totally agree on the non-intuitive interface.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    I've used Painter Classic, Painter 7, IX, and tried X and 11. Painter is a decent program, but it tends to have SO many feautures it's easy to get lost in it all instead of just diving in and doing art. And bad cluttered workspace doesn't help. Nor do the prices.

Some good things: Color mixer for Artist's Oils, and the RealBristle brushes. And it has an Animation feature in it, along with Watercolor, Blenders, and about 300 brushes and categories to choose from.. and then all the options at your disposal..

It's too much for some people, which is why ArtRage is refreshing. And ArtRage 3 may give Painter a run for its money.

Gallery
    View images
    They are still called cents but now eurocents

Hans