ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear yet another computer has died!

Oh dear yet another computer has died!

Hi Guys,

New machine on it's way. Old one very, very dead.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

But will it get here in time?

Sorry to hear that, but new computers are usually more fun :-)
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Aged P....
    last week, my pc started loading windows then stopped, started loading windows then stopped......repeat repeat!

WOnt even start in any safemode,

got a usb sata hardrive reader , recognises the harddrive but says there are 0 bytes on it.....so

lost all my AR stuff I done since 2006..... 7 years of photos and videos

bought a new hard drive ...will buy a backup drive too....so i wont lose next time

hoping to do some AR3 stuff during xmas hols

may your new pc be fast and capable!!!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Hi Enchanter,

I had a back up disk. Indeed as I don't think that was where the fault is, I also have the C drive.

Here comes the but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New machines come with Vista or in my case Vista + Windows 7 update.
    Old machine was XP.

I have grave doubts that Norton Ghost can handle that.

Fortunately I also made Norton do straightforward copies of major files like Documents etc, so they should be available.

I will graft them into various caddies I have accumulated and use up some of the USB ports for a while. I do hope that Windows 7 doesn't stomp around shouting "Alian life form detected! Exterminate, Exterminate!" like Vista did last time this happened

This weekend will be spent loading all the progs I had assembled over 2 years World of Warcraft will have finished by the Spring.

ArtRage 3 will soon leap lithely into place with a smile and a wave!

Phil

I would dump the Norton and download Avast. It is free and works just as good. I have been using it on the recommendation of my son for over a year.
    Have fun with your new computer.
    Sounds like you and me are about the same. I really don't like having to change operating systems. I have Vista now because I didn't ahve anything except the starup disks from my old computer for XP. Had to put Vista on this one. I am getting used to it now. Still miss XP. I was used to the problems it had.

Avast or AVG, and Malwarebytes are a good combination.

Greetings

With the release of AR3 comming soon I finaly just had to sign up to the forum. It only has taken me like 2 1/2 years.

ENCHANTER:

Sorry to hear about losing your paintings. While I am not that great of a painter (although I enjoy it) I do have a bit of experiance in data recovery. A tool I use quite often (mostly for friends who have broken, corrupted or formated memory cards) is called ZeroAssumption Recovery. If you download the free trial the "picture" recovery portion is completly unlocked, as far as I know, and has no expiry. The other parts do but I dont think you will need them. A scan takes quite a long time (somtimes 2 hours for a memory card or flash drive) but if anything will get them back it should. It should also work with your HD and adaptor.

P.S. I have no connections with the company. I hope it was ok to post suggestion, my sincere apologies if it wasn't.

Sorry to hear about your data loss Enchanter. I know how stressful losing data can be after I had a couple of close shaves. Now I backup all my data using Acronis TrueImage Home Edition. I highly recommend it, if only for the peace of mind that it gives you.

Hi Guys there are downsides to all the back up progs.

Manufacturers make firnware links between the mother board and the disk drive. Back up companies don't'spell this out. You would think it just involved pulling the C disk out and putting in the other. But there are often phonecalls to be made and permissions to be sought before the new disk is allowed to run with the motherboard. It's called "branding" "tattooing" and various other names.

This gives you some idea of the problems, it is an HP in this case but most other manufacturers do the same.

http://bit.ly/8YOdte

This may not happen, but be aware.

Phil