ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Flipping Images in the future

1. Flipping Images in the future

"Added a 'Quick Mirror' function that allows you to do a quick 'mirror check' of your painting. Holding down the H key flips your painting horizontally, holding down the V key flips it vertically. When you release the key, the painting returns to its normal orientation. This function is for people who like to be able to do mirror checks of their work to check for structural problems."

I was wondering, do you think that in a future update of your wonderful program (and I'm not just saying that to be a suck up..), you could include a way to KEEP the painting flipped that way, instead of it just going back to the way it was? I, for one, would greatly appreciate such a function.

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, I agree. It would be very nice to be able to paint on the image when it is flipped instead of just looking at it.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow. Thanks for bringing that feature to my attention.

I agree with your suggestions, both to keep it permanently flipped, and to be able to wotk on it if you can't permanently flip it.

Actually I would like to be able to rotate incrimentally, if you want to go all the way with it.

Could balance the left handed or right handed bias in the strokes.

4. I wouldn't mind being able to rotate. I am not too sure how difficult it is to put that function in, I'm just concerned mostly with being able to work on the piece while it is flipped horizontally or vertically, and keeping it flipped that way.

Its a great help in other programs. : )

Gallery
    View images
    What I would like to be able to do is have a flipped image as a tracing layer. One of my biggest weaknesses is that I have issues keeping things totally symmetrical, and having a guide to go off of would be nice. As it stands now, I have to export a layer, flip it in another program, then load it back in to trace it.

Gallery
    View images
    There has already been a lot of suggestions of being able to shift, scale, rotate, flip and flop the layers or the whole image.

For now, don't fear and mind the concept of exporting layers into other tools to do special things. Art is about the image, and no tool can encompass all artistic approaches. I know several artists who love to use a Xerox machine to make a copy of reduction of a copy of a magnification of a copy of a reduction, just to "distress" the image in pleasing and strangely organic ways.

The GIMP and Inkscape and Manga Studio and many other "niche" art tools are at my side, ready to pinch in when I want to do something ArtRage cannot. They're a team.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    I'm the same way, I often use other tools to get the effects I want. However, I like sketching directly into ArtRage for my reference images, no matter what program i plan on doing a bulk of the work in, and it just can be a pain to sketch into art rage, export as image, open GIMP, flip the image, save, import as a tracing layer, line everything up, then sketch the other side, save and export the completed sketch, bring into inkscape or what ever else I'm going to use. Cloning of a layer to a tracing image (just a reverse of the tracing image to layer option), and the ability to flip tracing images would make me happy.