ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display of drawing freezes after some seconds

Question Display of drawing freezes after some seconds

Hello,

I've been using ArtRage after upgrading to Windows7 from Vista and have noticed a strange behaviour.

If I draw e.g. a circle, a spiral, etc, holding either the left mouse button or the pen without releasing the button or moving the pen up, after something like 4-5 seconds the drawing seems to abruptly hang in what may seem like lag (in other words it doesn't draw anything anymore, and the cursor is frozen). But if I continue to move the mouse/the pen and continue to draw, what I have drawn suddenly appears on screen when I release the button or hold my pen up...

So the question is : is this a known issue ? At first I thought of a misconfigured buffer, but as the drawing in fact goes on even when it seems to be frozen, I do not think it's the case...

If anyone can help...

Thanks in advance
    V.

-Does the problem occur only with long strokes?
    -Could you let us know the specs of your computer? ( processor speed, RAM )
    -What make and model of tablet do you have installed, and have you downloaded and installed the latest software for that tablet since the update to Windows 7?

Also, to rule out the possibility of an Ink Services ( Microsofts tablet input system ) related problem, download this file:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/no_ink.inf ( right click, save link as if using Firefox )

Place it in ArtRage's resource folder e.g. c:\program files(x86)\ambient design\artrage 2\ resources\ <-- file goes here

-then start up ArtRage and see if the behavior is any different.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hello and thanks for your answer,

-Does the problem occur only with long strokes?
    Yes, always after more or less the same amount of time holding down the pen or the mouse button.

-Could you let us know the specs of your computer? ( processor speed, RAM)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.00 GHZ
    4Go RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits

(let's just say it never happened to my knowledge under Vista, or with my previous, older and slower laptop under XP Media center)

-What make and model of tablet do you have installed
    Wacom Bamboo Fun M

, and have you downloaded and installed the latest software for that tablet since the update to Windows 7?
    Yes, before asking my question here, was a logical first guess.

Also, to rule out the possibility of an Ink Services ( Microsofts tablet input system ) related problem, download this file:

.../no_ink.inf ( right click, save link as if using Firefox )

Place it in ArtRage's resource folder e.g. c:\program files(x86)\ambient design\artrage 2\ resources\ <-- file goes here

-then start up ArtRage and see if the behavior is any different.
    I just tested it and it doesn't change anything.

But let me just point out that the problem arises ALSO if I use my mouse instead of my pen - the behaviour is exactly the same.

Any other idea ?

A couple of additional notes on this:

Can you check that you have correctly installed the no_ink file as described in this thread: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=23743

If the file has been converted to a text file on save then it may not be operating correctly. Dave has added details to that thread with information.

Another thing to check is that in your Pen and Ink control panel you do not have the Click and Hold = Right Click helper turned on, that might cause a problem if you are holding on the spot for an extended period (though we haven't been able to replicate it here yet).

It looks like there's an interaction between the Pen and Ink system and the Wacom drivers that's confusing ArtRage (if I turn off stylus right click in the Pen and Ink panel for example, the Wacom driver's Right click function ceases to work, that's a bad thing).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hello Matt,

So - file was correctly saved, not as a text file, doesn't change anything.

I checked also what you suggest with the right click helper, it's not that.

Any other idea ? Am I the only one out there ?

Thanks for the update.

Does it make any difference to the behavior when you use different tools or is it consistent for all tools?

When you move your cursor over ArtRage's menu bar or panels does it appear as a pointer or a dot?

Does it happen if you make a slow stroke ( i.e. move your mouse / stylus slowly during the stroke ) as well as if you just press down and hold still?

When everything appears to hang, do the colours in the ArtRage window appear to become dull?

One troubleshooting step which may help quickly establish if something running in the background is causing the problem: Start your computer in safe mode, then launch ArtRage and paint with the mouse as the tablet won't work in this configuration. Do you still see the problem? Restart your computer in Normal Mode after this, and let me know.

If you're not familiar with Safe Mode, you can find information here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode

Feel free to email me directly at support@artrage.com with the information, I'd be happy to troubleshoot it in more depth with you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hello Dave,

- behaviour is the same with any tool
    - cursor appears over panels as an arrow
    - happens also when moving slow / holding still
    - no change of coulours while hanging
    - running in safe mode = normal behaviour

(I thought for a time it was because I had virtualisation set at the BIOS level, posted my reply here saying it worked, but after only minutes it started freezing again, so I guess I was just fooling myself ^^)

- if you don't mind, I prefer trying to continue here, as it may serve others if we ever find a reason

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Varkhan; 11-23-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks for that!

Just to clarify:

'- running in safe mode = normal behaviour' - Does that mean you still get the same problem when running in Safe Mode, or that the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode? I suspect the latter but I'd like to make absolutely sure I'm understanding correctly.

If it works ok in Safe Mode but not normally, then the problem appears to relate to something which is running in the background on your machine. Then it's a matter of pinning down which process relates to the problem.

Because this process can take a large number of steps, many of which may not help and may confuse users with a similar problem looking for a solution, we prefer to avoid posting them to the forum until the process is complete.

So, if you email me at support@artrage.com I'll run through it all with you and will update this thread with any solution we find.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the delay - I hadn't had much time for that in the last month.

First, a happy new year

I've found a way to solve my problem - one I hadn't thought of earlier, in fact...

In Windows 7, there's already a native support for tablets... and guess what... removing the Wacom Driver simply did the trick. The tablet now runs smoothly (and it also corrected another problem I had mit GIMP... isn't the world wonderful in 2010 ^^ ?)

Thanks for the support
    Best wishes

Glad to hear you found a solution! A lot of problems seem to stem from the interaction of the operating system tablet handlers and specific tablet drivers, which can confuse the application. We've tested a large range of situations but it's difficult to test them all so feedback like this is really helpful as we work on solving problems.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.