Thread: A bit of help needed...

Gallery
    View images

A bit of help needed...

Hi! I just got Artrage free with a graphics tablet so that I can try and re-do some greetings cards I had previously completed in Microsoft Paint. In MS Paint they were very pixelated, which is why i need to re-do them, but the advantage was that (as i'm not particularly good at free-hand drawing) you can zoom in and just fill in the blocks until you get it right. I've started trying to get vaguely competent with Artrage but am having trouble in the following areas:
    • You can't "fill" an area - is there a way to do this that i'm just missing?
    • I can't find any easy way to insert text.
    • I'm finding drawing straight lines quite awkward (in paint you just click and drag)
    I'm just wondering if there are any quick ways around the above problems without having to spend a lot of time trying to actually get good at drawing!! Or perhaps Artrage is a bit advanced for my needs - in which case does anyone know of anything similar to MS Paint but with a non-pixelated outcome?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Paul.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Paul!

ArtRage 2 doesn't have a flood fill tool but you can use a large tool like the paint roller to more rapidly fill an area with paint, and you can also use stencils to define areas where paint can and can't go. There's some information in the ArtRage Manual ( Help -> ArtRage Manual ) under 'All about Stencils and Rulers' and 'Using Stencils and Rulers'

ArtRage 2 doesn't have a text tool, but you could copy text from another graphics application ( like paint ) and paste it into ArtRage via Edit -> Paste Clipboard to new layer or by pressing ctrl+V to paste

For straight lines, ArtRage has rulers. Click on 'Stencils' at the bottom of your ArtRage Window, then open the category 'Rulers'. Click the Ruler icon to add a ruler to your canvas. You can add multiple rulers and they can be scaled, moved and rotated. You can draw along the side of a ruler using any tool to create a straight line.

I hope that helps! ArtRage 3 will have lots of new features and will cover at least some of what you're looking for, we'll have some information on that available soon.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

A bit of help needed...

Cool - thanks very much!!

Gallery
    View images
    I'd like to recommend ArtRage to our school here and these two features would be very nice additions.

A fill may be contrary to the brush concept but I imagine you could implement a fill pattern using a pre-defined texture and direction.

Overlapping text onto a layer seems necessary, otherwise you'd have to look at having Photoshop in addition to this program.

Hopefully these features will find their way into newer versions of the program.

Gallery
    View images
    I can confirm that both ArtRage Studio and ArtRage Studio Pro (collectively ArtRage 3) do indeed have a flood-fill tool, and text on layers.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"