ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet Durability

Tablet Durability

Hi all!
    How hard is it to destroy your average drawing tablet? Is there such a thing made specifically for children? My kiddos, ages 5 & 7, are enthralled with my Wacom Bamboo tablet...absolutely enthralled......
    I am sure that a great part of the allure is because I won't let them touch it, mostly because it is precious to me and I suspect it is fragile. And it was expensive enough that the purchasing value commands some respect (at least in my mind.)
    Christmas is coming, my kids both spend time on ArtRage and TuxPaint every day and creativity is greatly encouraged in our household. My children aren't particularly destructive, but they are usually a bit sticky with food and snot and enthusiastic with their gestures...you know, kids.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

http://rightbrainedmama.wordpress.com/

and, most especially, my photography at
    http://sweet-harmony-photography.smugmug.com/

http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/

but they are usually a bit sticky with food and snot and enthusiastic with their gestures...you know, kids.
    Lol this gave me a damn good belly laugh lol

I don't think there that destructible, i let my 9 year old use it by himself and i encourage my 5 year old to use it supervised "Ofcourse" i think as long as they are encouraged to respect it's value it should be fine, just get them a little bamboo fun, only around the $150 mark here in AUS
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Too wonderful Foxy.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Perhaps you could invest in a second, less expensive tablet for them? I bought my 3.5 x 5 Wacom tablet at Best Buy for under $70. That's about the cost a video game, really. It doesn't have the fancy tilt and swirl features some tablet come with, but it does have an eraser.

I think the biggest problem would be the nib of the pen being run down a lot quicker then normal. Children have a tendency of using a bit more pressure then is really required, especially for something like this. Though, I'm pretty sure one can get replacement pens (I hope, because I'm going to need one soon myself, I think).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I have a Genius tablet. I have been using it for another progam where I tap, tap, tap at a very high rate. Hasn't harmed a thing.
    My 5 year old uses it at times but prefers the mouse for painting. Loves to smear things.
    I was worried about the tips as I cannot find any but, this tablet has lasted through the abuse I have given it and is holding up fine and it is not supposed to be as good as the Wacom.
    Let the kids have fun. They are worth it. We can always buy a new tablet but we cannot regain their interest once it is gone.
    Love the kids, like the tablet.

You all are a wonder! I had no idea these tablets would take any sort of abuse at all.....I treat mine like it might melt, disintegrate or combust if I so much as sneeze on it. Hah!
    Rose, thank you for the links...
    Ray, thank you for the savvy words.....
    Someonesane, I agree that kids tend to use more pressure....I remember when my oldest first started to use crayons, I couldn't believe how saturated the colors were.
    And Silentman and Byron, thank you for laughing with me!
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

http://rightbrainedmama.wordpress.com/

and, most especially, my photography at
    http://sweet-harmony-photography.smugmug.com/

http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/

I just bought Art Rage a couple of weeks ago

and my son (9) who has used Photoshop couldn't stop staring at it. Yes, I bought him a copy. We decided to have an Art Rage night together and settled in side by side with our notebooks. I had a tablet (an Adesso. Not well known but very pricey. The puppy had just chewed my Graphire and I needed a tablet within the hour so went for the Adesso. It is fine). After twenty minutes, my son opined that a lot more could be done with a pen. I let him "borrow" my tablet. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the evening trying to work with my finger on the touchpad. Yuck. Next morning, before I could even fire up Art Rage, dear son asked me if he could borrow my tablet. I am old and slow but I could see a pattern building. Of course I let him have it. I was thrilled he was so smitten by the program. I bought myself another one and let him have the Adesso. My heart is with the poster above: keeping my son interested and gung ho about art is priceless. He uses it everyday. "How many paintings have you saved, mom?" he asked me last night. "None" (because even without having to use my finger my noodling to date has been fun but complete and total dross). "Hmmmm, I have saved eight." "Well, it isn't all about quantity you know!" I shot back rather defensive. "Hmmmmm." And he let it rest there.

Here's a suggestion for getting a tablet, check out Ebay. I had sold an older Wacom tablet last year and I just checked out what was available there now. Lots of choices. Might be something to think about.

Leah

I am courious about the nib of the pen. That little white nib: of what it is made? Which kind of material? How to get it?

I have never found nibs for my Genius. The only one I have found nibs for is the Wacom and they must be ordered.
    Mine are a very hard almost fiberglass type material. I have not seen any wear on them as of yet.