ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Recover Painting

Question Recover Painting

So, I don't suppose there is a way to recover a painting. I was actually able to spend some time painting last night, had fun, was excited I would get to post something of mine to the forum, went to save it and Artrage quit. I wasn't able to save anything, it just showed it wasn't responding, then it shut down. I was actually done with my painting, and had just signed it when it happened. My painting wasn't anything of great art, in fact it was kind of a silly little painting. Of course if I can't recover it, then I guess I will just have to paint it again.
    -Dave

Next time remember to save your work more often. If you are really paranoid, save it often into numbered files.

Sometimes, should the program crash, it tries to save the work before closing. If it's successful, the saved file will be named "arrestart.ptg". Search your computer for that file. If you're lucky, your work was backed up.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the painting. If you're on Windows, ArtRage will attempt to save your work to the filename Someonesane mentioned 'arrestart.ptg' which can be found in the Application Data folder for ArtRage.

On Windows XP - run 'application data', then open Ambient Design, ArtRage 2 and see if the arrestart.ptg file is there

On Windows Vista / 7 - run 'appdata', then open Ambient Design, Artrage 2 and see if the file is there.

If it is, double click it to open it, and if ArtRage is able to open the file and you get your work back, save it as a different filename in another location.

I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm taking this thread out of the dust for a walk.

I'm wondering if the info above is still up to date, or if recovery of a painting works differently now, when ArtRage or our hardware suffers a crash.

I've lost quite a few paintings, because of my laptop shutting down (overheating), and sometimes perhaps ArtRage itself getting overworked by my voluminous paint files. I never checked for a file named arrestart.ptg before. Most of the time, on rebooting when ArtRage offers me to try to recover, the recovery had failed, a dialog box says layer = 0 or something similar.

I'm on AR Studio Pro 3.5.12

I have found the backup setting to be useful, and although it doesn't autosave, it does make a backup when you do save to a different filename, which is useful if a file becomes corrupt.

I have also added a shortcut key on my Wacom tablet to save, which I use all the time.

Hey Red
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure I get what backup setting you refer too?
    I don't see anything pertaining to backup in the ArtRage File Menu; I'm wondering if it's something OS/device specific? If so, I don't know if my Windows7 has anything such.

I do save my paintings often (from the ArtRage File menu) and I also change the filename almost as often, providing different stages of my Work In Progress. So if there is a loss/corruption, at least I can fall back on a prior stage of the WIP without starting from scratch. But when a loss does happen, even if ArtRage tried to save before the crash, the recovery in my experience most often fails, saying Layer=0 or something similar.

One trick I have developed:

When I do see that ArtRage is bugging (because my painting is too voluminous, no more memory available), it's definitely time to save the problematic current painting to a different name, before I force-quit ArtRage by rebooting the laptop (no other way to quit ArtRage that I know of when memory is insufficient). I go in my paintings folder, and I COPY the file (say, "painting 1a"), then PASTE it somewhere else in a new folder, then change the name of this new copy (say, "painting 1b").

It works, as long as the corruption didn't have a chance to get saved in "painting 1a". I'll have recovered the painting at its last saved version, instead of losing the whole thing from scratch. At that point I usually cross my fingers, never sure if I got to it quick enough!

Assuming ArtRage was able to complete the save before the crash, it will still have tried to save it as the arrestart.ptg file.

The backup setting RedSaucers mentioned can be found in the Advanced Preferences group on the ArtRage Preferences panel. It allows a user to opt to have ArtRage automatically create a backup file of the last saved iteration of a painting, every time the user chooses to save. Essentially, with the option on, when you select "Save Painting" (having previously saved the image) ArtRage will then save that last saved file of that painting as a ".ptgback" file and then save the current painting. This ensures that the user doesn't accidentally overwrite a painting by mistake and also means (assuming the user saves often) that should the program crash, the user will only have lost a minimum amount of work on the image.

Here's where to find the setting (note: The higher the number, the more iterations of the image will be saved, before ArtRage begins to push out the old versions; it goes up to 26):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backup files.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	85606
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Before you guys confuse Rachelle too much, I should point out that this feature was added in ArtRage 4 (and she's using Studio Pro).

@Rachelle, if you're running into this kind of problem regularly, you may just be pushing ArtRage beyond what it can cope with (sounds like you know that!). This is why we added the 64 bit support in 4.5 to give you at least twice the available memory
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks SOS for your help and clear instructions
    Your infos are valuable for many and all - just I'm still holding on upgrading to ArtRage4, not to upset my present workflow, until I get new hardware. THEN as it will be a period of adaptation in general, I definitely go for ArtRage4.

Hannah,

Yep, you got it! Thanks much too! At some point, if I'm waiting too long for finding the optimal hardware innards, I guess I'll just force myself into an artworkflow-break and get into adapting to AR4.