ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blending Skin Tones

Blending Skin Tones

This is probably a really stupid newbie question, but...

I cannot figure out how to blend skin tones. It seems to me that if I take a dark flesh color and blend it with a lighter shade of the SAME COLOR, I should get intermediate shades. But when I do this in ArtRage 2.5 on Snow Leopard, I get clown colors: Bright yellows and deep reds that are different in hue than the color I started with.

I have also tried taking a dark flesh color and blending with white, but that gives me the same strange results.

I have messed with this for hours and never gotten satisfactory results.

Can anyone point me to a a tutorial on the right way to blend flesh tones?

Hi Mr Jenkins and welcome to the forums, you need look no further than this thread http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...splay.php?f=11 in it you will find many tutorials on blending, some especially clever people in their have a lot of cool techniques that they have shared

Hope it helps Col
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Thanks, Silentman, I'll look there!

I guess I phrased my question wrong, though: There were two parts. I'm also interested in knowing if I have a technical problem.

I downloaded the free edition of ArtRage on a friend's Windows computer, and when I try to blend flesh tones there, it works as expected--no clown colors!

Is there a problem with AR 2.5 running on Snow Leopard?

This isn't a problem we've experienced on Snow Leopard, could you post a screenshot and we can take a look at it to see if the cause is apparent. Thanks!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Same Problem

I'm not sure if maybe it's supposed to work this way, but as you can see in my screenshot in the left had corner I used a desaturated darker skin tone to mix with the lighter skintone I had already applied. Mixing those two colors produced a pinkish tone which wouldn't appear if I was working on paper (I think).
    What am I doing wrong?

I tried this on mac and on pc - same problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The tones you're getting are probably because of the way digital colour blending works and how the paint on the brush head is re-blending with the colour on the canvas as you paint.

However, I don't see the the extreme colour shifting there, could you post a screenshot of the different hues you're getting when you blend, leaving the interface visible as well, so we can take a look at the settings generating the odd results.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Very Nice eye

Welcome to the forums Miralys
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Skin Tones

So here's what I did: I chose skintone #1 (the darker one) and painted with the brush onto the canvas. To not mix them already while applying them, I paintedskin tone #2 onto another layer, but merged the layers afterwards. Then I used the knife to mix them. At first I got the pinkish tone again, and when I continued to work with the knife, it turned into the yellowish tone.

@silentman: thanks! It's far from finished, though...

The colour you're getting there is probably due to the issues I described above: The digital colour model and the way the paint is re-blending as it is picked up on the knife. If you mix them on application rather than with the knife you might find that the additional colour the brush head applies during the blend reduces this effect slightly.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Not quite satisfying

mixed them on application - got the same strange colors. Other colors blend as expected, it's just the skin tones that come out this way. If you mix a light, rather desaturated color with a darker desaturated color you get similar results, but not as bothersome. Unfortunately the human eye is extremely sensitive when it comes to skintones...

I have to admit that I switched back to photoshop due to this and a few other limits in ArtRage:
    - limited size of brush tips especially when working on a bigger canvas (1024 px are not enough to print A4)
    - transformation tool only works on a whole layer, it's not possible to just select a part of it.
    - in Photoshop I just press the alt-key to pick up a color, in ArtRage I have to remember different keys, depending on which brush/tool I'm working with, as I have to actually switch tools

Maybe these limits are worth looking into?

I'm looking forward to ArtRage 3!
    (I'll also still use ArtRage for my digital painting class despite the mentioned improvement opportunities, as it is very intuitive, and the students grab the concept quickly)