Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West African Black Rhino WIP

Gallery
    View images

West African Black Rhino WIP

Hi people,

I have missed you all since I haven't had as much time to be among you as I'd like. I started this back in July after learning of the presumed extinction of this species of Rhino. It depressed me for a couple of weeks and I finally decided to sort it out by painting. I'll try to get some momentum going on this image so I can upload regular updates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Fashmir,
    A very nice tribute to the Rhino's dignity & life.
    I believe I saw that documentary too. Wasn't it was the horn of the Rhino that poachers use that is valued by some as medicinal. High price to pay. Isn't there some type of program being set up, to protect & relocate, and restore the herds?
    ""On a more positive note, Black rhino numbers have increased to 3,725, up 3.2% over the last 2 years from an all time nadir of 2,410 in 1995. The major conservation triumph continues for the Southern White rhino. from less than 50 animals a century ago, to 14,540 now."" http://www.wildlifeextra.com/news-blackrhino.html (References)

Kind Regards,
    FG

Gallery
    View images
    i think you should go to the doctor Fashmir

Theres something developing on your nose! :wink:
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    doh!

and heres my comment about the rhino,
    wonderful brilliant superb

as usual, youre one of those people who i know will deliver a wonderful painting, all i have to do is sit back and enjoy the progression!

I love the light in this one
    Enchanter
    My artist friend

Gallery
    View images
    florida girl- Thanks. I didn't actually see a documentary, I didn't even know they had done one. I would very much like to see it. I got the report from a friend and followed up with online research. I've been tracking the populations of endangered species on and off for years. It's so frustrating. I can understand people killing for sustainence and to provide for their families, but to take an endangered species of animal to extinction for avarice or status is unthinkable. It is not unlike the kind of massacre that white hunters commited upon the American Bison in the 19th century bringing a population of animals that once covered multiple states down to a few small herds. There has got to be a solution that provides an alternative motivation for those who become poachers out of need or greed. Whew I got a little long winded. Thanks for reading.

ENCHANTER- Yeah, :lol: it seems to have a life of it's own.
    Be well,

Gallery
    View images
    Boy the light effect on that rhino...This prooves to get one masterpiece.

Really saddening indeed, to learn about this.What are we doing to this planet ?
    :cry:

Q: What do you do to paint the background,and those trees like that ?
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    ENCHANTER- Thanks for coming back to comment on the painting. I hope I can live up to what you expect. :wink:

Hanzz- Thanks for the encouragement.

It is sad what we humans have done to this planet. It seems we have forgotten the our responsibilities as stewards of this world. :cry:

The background and trees is just oil brush applied with a fair amount of thinners in a dabbing movement with a slight curved inflection. I did some dry brushing in there too. It's actually a bit of a mess as you can see in the actual size close ups below.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Be well,

Gallery
    View images
    lovely Fashmir-im with Enchanter i love the light and your pallet is tremendous I love the golds and the blues...its like the rhino is a jewell in a crown..which of course it is if you see it that way.

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    extinction........i went to a safari park about one hour drive away from my home, last saturday, it takes about 4-5 hrs to walk around, but i prefer this to the city zoo in london......most of the animals seem happier there than in the city zoo........i came to the conclusion unless people realise that animals and plants were here first, and I understand that people need to live, and we need to keep a balance to ensure that nature can co exist, in a few years time, we will all be going to zoos and the like, to see them, and not all animals do well/breed in captivity........so we need to leave the land that they already occupy, and conserve,
    unfortunately, im a pessimist on this issue, and i dont have hope that people will realise in time............so please world......prove me wrong!

sorry fashmir.went on a bit.... ops:
    Enchanter
    My artist friend

Gallery
    View images

hi.

now thats an impressive piece fashmir.... just wonderul...and thats what i call a gift for every viewer.... the handling of the tree at the background (bigger one), is what i really like as well.
    going on really fine...im following it....
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com