Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMac 20"

Gallery
    View images

IMac 20"

Hello art world
    I just purchased an iMac 20 and will have it delivered in a week.
    How will I like the change? Actually it is in addition to my Intel HP Pavilion.
    I purchased a book to help "The lost Manual".
    Any suggestions or caveats are certianly welcome
    I hope this post isn't inappropiate or misplaced..........
    You'll know when you get there!

Gallery
    View images
    If you're used to non-Mac machines, the only thing I would suggest you really want to get is a regular two-button-plus-scrollwheel mouse to replace the standard one-button mouse. The right-click is for context menus just like other operating systems, and wheels do what wheels are supposed to do too.

Everything else about the operating system will feel DIFFERENT, but it's like the difference between American driving and British driving... it just takes a bit of time and patience before you stop bouncing off curbs.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Halley, I'm assuming that a wacom tablet would work on the iMac?

Gallery
    View images
    High Ingie,

I'll answer your question to Halley. Oh yeah, your Wacom will work just fine with your new iMac. As will it's mouse. His is a good tip tho, if you aren't using your Wacom a new mouse may be in order. I bought a pretty cheap one called "The Mouse AL" from MacMice and it works fine.

The "Missing Manual" books are great, any of them, and anything by David Pogue in particuar. He's my hero and his OS X book helped me thru many a traumatic episode. His Missing Manual on iLife 6 will also be worth the investment. I upgraded to iLife 5, (you'll get iLife 6 with your new iMac), and catalogued my slide portfolio this summer. It was perfect. I did allot of research into all sorts of cataloging software and the iPhoto came out on top. And it comes with your Mac.

I'm really jealous. I want one too!!! My humble eMac lacks the "testicular fortitude" for making GarageBand and other music software viable, as well as allot of 3D and animation software. When I grow up...

Have fun, I'm sure you will.

sam...
    "Up to now I've managed, but since they know I can't do any other kind of work in life except invent absurdities, they pay me badly." Rene Daumal (Trans. Roger Shattuck) from "Mount Analogue"

Gallery
    View images
    samIambic, yes it does take years sometimes to make your dreams come true.
    Thanks for the information, it's a good investment then?
    I've never before had the bucks and am completely ignorant of the apple/mac scene because of my lack of money.

Gallery
    View images
    it's a good investment then?

This depends for what kind of things will use your iMac.

If is for gaming, isnt but if is for graphic art, Is the solution. The screen is top clas, maybe one of the best "profesionals" monitors. The colors that will you have in the screen, will looking exactly in print. Take a look at apples site and you can learn more thinks about this subject. Actually a lot of artist are using macs for making ART.

Gallery
    View images
    Ahh Ingie it will be loads of fun..but halleys right if your not used to it it will take a little getting used to.

My best tip is get to know and love your 'command' key also known as the apple key its the one with the four leaf clover painted on it its used in heaps of shortcut key commands ,copying pasting printing etc....but the most important one to start with is 'command+ S' ..which will save your work. dont go trying to use 'control+s' as you would on a pc cause it wont save a thing

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    thanks artisanicview, selby!
    I knew this was the right forum for asking!
    The imac will be used for graphics........ I was going to ask about drivers for a hp photosmart 8200. I guess I just did........

A ton of printer drivers ship with Mac OS X. I checked the list here but didn't see yours:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...1175#hpdrivers

I couldn't find an HP Photosmart 8200 on HP's page, either, though... only 8230, 8238, and 8250.

But chances are it'll just work when you plug the printer into the Mac.

Hope that helps!
    -Jon

Gallery
    View images
    aarku, thanks- My photosmart is 3 years old probably why not listed.