ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: size and perspective problem

Gallery
    View images

size and perspective problem

I used the tracing option to get the outlines for this but the hand seems to be huge any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isobel.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	34549  

Gallery
    View images

Distortion

Remember that a camera, particularly at close range, tends to exaggerate perspective and foreshortening. If you're good in Photoshop, you can correct some of that in your reference image.

Gallery
    View images
    You may be surprised... Once you color and place proper shadows on the hand, the size may be correct. Often images look larger until they are shadowed and highlighted. I would say try painting the hand on a separate layer under your sketch and see what it looks like. If it still looks to large, you can always use "transform layer" to change its size. Hope that helps a little! The painting looks great!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Both ideas occurred to me. That it was might be distorted in the picture and that it may not look so large once it is finished. I wasn't sure though and hoped I could get some input on it because sizing elements is a struggle for me. I'll try painting and finetuning it. The worst that happens is I throw one layer away instead of the whole painting, right? Thanks for the input, I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

Gallery
    View images
    Yup the perspective looks correct to me, make sure you keep focus on what it is that's feature, so if it's the hand then go all out with fine details on it, but if it's the face, then try not to do too much detail on the hand, it's a tough perspective by the looks of it and one well worth spending time on, i'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I've added some color to the hand and blocked in some color around the hand. I'm still not sure about it's size. I tried paring it down a bit but didn't like what I saw so put it back to original. I do like the idea of not detailing it and possibly letting it fade into the background. So what do you think? better or worse or will it improve as I wrk on the other sections?

Name:	isobel2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	34644  

Gallery
    View images
    Looks fine to me Squirls, it looks excellent imho

Often when the artist looks at their work things look different to when others view it, i think in the end, your the one who needs to be happy with it, you need to find the right size for you
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images

I cheated just a little

OK I think I solved the problem... I cheated and made it a cameo. I think I actually have something. Not sure what color to make the final background though. I like pink better than blue but it makes her face washed out. I can't use yellow or green for the same reason, different components. Any ideas? If I had the right color I think the whole portrait would pop out.

Name:	isobel2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	34707  

Gallery
    View images
    I love it. A wonderful portrait and pic and a cool illustrative style.

Gallery
    View images
    Looks great,I see the hand worked out fine.I think it was pointed out by Sketch that an outline will always look different from a value drawing.It will tend to look flat and i.e bigger.Also it doesn't really matter in this shot because the hand is closest to the viewer so it should be larger.
    As to your colour question,maybe have inside the circle a different colour to the outside.
    Just for example Blue inside and white out side or the other way round.I would setup 2 seperate layers and try the combinations you had in mind.I think maybe all white would do the trick as well.I hope that is of some help. Good luck and well done
    Last edited by SCP; 10-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.