ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Herb and Dorothy

Gallery
    View images

Herb and Dorothy

If you get a chance, watch this delightful film on the Vogels who spent a lifetime collecting art.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/herb-and-dorothy/

Gallery
    View images
    Groovy. The galleries must have rolled out the red carpet and poured the champagne when they saw them coming.

In that film, I have to confess that the background music, unless there is a personal significance to it for the Vogels is the weirdest, baby. Says they are characters, refugees from a Fellini movie or something, oddly out of step with NYC. They did mention they had an eye for stuff nobody else wanted.

Are the film makers trying to make fun of them making them appear to be odd ducks who happened to collect art obsessively? Are they soon to appear on Letterman so he can laugh at them?

Very cool find, GZ. Thought provoking. And I never knew of them. Sounds like they're going to need armed guards for their home after this publicity.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Rofl what a bizarre life to live hahahehehe

Thanks for the watch Gzaire
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the link, Gzairborne!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

Gallery
    View images
    I have watched it twice now. It is a wonderful story.
    They are an amazing delightful couple, and no they were not put down
    at all. The documentary celebrates their contribution to the art world.
    Many artists claimed that if it had not been for the Vogels sometimes
    they wouldn't have been able to keep painting as a career or even eat sometimes. The Vogels spent small amounts and when the artists got famous they could no longer afford them... they moved on. The one rule they both shared was to not sell any of them.

They gave the entire collection to The National Art Gallery, but the collection is so big even they could not give it all a home and that is why they are giving 50 paintings to all of the 50 states. 2500 art works will go to combined 50 states and spread the collection across America.
    The entire collection of the Vogel's was over 4700 pieces that they gave to The National Art Gallery. Oh they are celebrated quite highly by the New York art community and earned a place in history. The NAG gave them an annuity in exchange for their art collection. What they did not anticipate was
    that this little couple turned around and used the annuity to buy more art and in turn give it back to the collection.

The last segment of the film shows her finally getting a little mac laptop to keep track of things. I cannot imagine walking down the streets of NY as a senior with a brand new laptop and at the pace of one half mile an hour.

Gallery
    View images
    Albert, great post. I'm familiar with antics of this wonderful couple. They inspire.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Wow. Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    GZ, I agree with Byron. That was a good post.

I still find the background music track the filmmakers chose to be not very sympathetic in this context.

Glad the piece was one of tribute. They deserve it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Glad you enjoyed it Mr. Akey. I find this art collecting couple fascinating.