Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Characters

Gallery
    View images

Book Characters

Hi guys,

This is my first project for public viewing.
    I am trying to create images of characters for a book I'm writing (average writer, average drawer, hoping to combine efforts!).

Just wondering about your take on this... Would it make you want to read about the characters?
    Do you think ArtRage is the right programme for me to use for this style, or should I try PhotoShop/GIMP?

Felt tip and eraser were my main tools here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Soulhaven, beautiful clean image.
    Would it make you want to read about the characters? It would be nice.
    Congratulations.

Gallery
    View images
    beautiful drawing and beautiful colors.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulhaven View Post
    Just wondering about your take on this... Would it make you want to read about the characters?
    Do you think ArtRage is the right programme for me to use for this style, or should I try PhotoShop/GIMP?

Felt tip and eraser were my main tools here.
    Hi Soulhaven and welcome to the ArtRage forums,

First off, your image is very nicely done. It'd be enough for me to check out the story it went with. Though, to really help you out with your question on which program to use, it'd be best to offer some more information on what type of style are you looking to achieve. From what I see here, it seems as though you have a sort of manga looking technique going, but not one with greatly over exaggerated features. If a typical anime/manga look is what you're going for, then you're looking for a way to create smooth, clean lines and solid colors. I won't say it's easier to do with ArtRage then other programs, but I won't say it's any more difficult either. The methods required to attain the same style in each individual program call for vastly different knowledge. Where one might tell you to "Ink" the image using a vector based image program (or a similar type of program that uses a path system to bend lines) so that you can easily fix curves, others will tell you to do it free hand so that your lines keep a loose and more personal appearance. So in the end, it really comes down to personal taste.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 10-09-2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

I think I would have to agree, Someonesane... I am going to have to spend some time investigating my own style. I think I went with ArtRage in this case because I have always been a sketcher, not a graphic-artist, so I really have no idea where to begin with vector drawing...

I am loving the added support of tracing and reference images in ArtRage - it makes it much easier to get that initial composition right.

I will keep playing at it.
    "I don't mean to be rude, mister, but, may I ask what exactly you are looking at?"
    "I was just noticing your friend, there."
    "I don't know why. He's not much to look at, and I don't think he would reciprocate your interest."

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Soul, the drawing is so good! and the story?, can already tell the girl is in love,,, good job and good luck!!!

Gallery
    View images
    Soulhaven, welcome to here.
    The tools are only as good as the artisan who uses them. There is an impressive sense of tension in this image that will transcend any program you choose to use. The beauty of ArtRage is that it is impressively customizable and adjustable without presenting you a myriad of confusing and overly complex "options" that only serve to get in the way of the creative process.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 12-15-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Robert,

I think I would have to agree with you there! I do get intimidated by a lot of the features in other programmes. With ArtRage I already have an understanding of pens and pencils, and some of paint, making it much easier just to jump in and create something.

And I really am loving the Reference tools as I learn this style of drawing.
    "I don't mean to be rude, mister, but, may I ask what exactly you are looking at?"
    "I don't know why. He's not much to look at, and I don't think he would reciprocate your interest."

Gallery
    View images
    I picked up on the mood of your painting straight away as well, the guys fist says it all, the tattoo on his abdomen and that's either his sister or girlfriend, i'm not sure, butt i would like to know a little more about them, your painting is very provocative to be sure.

I'm not a fan of the magna style, but i really like the balance you have, perhaps if all magna was as sensibly balanced as yours is i might like magna style a bit more lol

I think you've found the right program, over the coming months you'll become very used to Artrage and you won't even consider other programs, perhaps down the track have a look into Inkscape, a very free and very capable vector program, it may help with some of the trickier area's, then bring the artwork back into AR to paint

Welcome to the ArtRage forums, i hope you enjoy your stay
    Last edited by Silentman; 10-10-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I will definitely look into that Inkscape... anything to keep the drawing process fun.

Thanks, Silentman, for the comment on style. I was giving Manga a go for its popularity, and I thought that it might suit my plan for creating an online graphic novel. I will keep your comment in mind... I want to retain as much of my audience as I can!