ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: first posting

first posting

I have been loving ArtRage for a while now.
    The speed and naturalness of this application is fantastic.
    I am using ArtRage as an art design tool.
    I have moved almost entirely to digital art as a medium - with applications like ArtRage, Expression3, Studio Artist (I am a Mac user) I can work from idea to final art entirely digitally.
    Many thanks to the ArtRage development crew.

The image I am posting is a rough character design comp for a childrens product. The file was made in the full 2.5 version with a layer for pencil/crayon/chalk line and a layer for color using mostly the marker tool and a daub or two of the oil brush

-Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very cool character sketch. Lots of fun.
    Welcome to the forum!

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Nice lobster. I like the natural media look of this image. ArtRage does paint so well, that's a given with it's gorgeous blends, but I am continually impressed by its handeling of dry media. The chalks and pencils are delicious. 8)
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

This is a marvelous illustration, Craig. I can't believe it's just a "rough character design"; it has such style to it that I would have no trouble believing it's the finished piece for the product. Thanks for sharing it with us, and welcome to the forums.

- Gita

thanks

Thanks for the good words.

I am also really enjoying the dry media.
    The only thing I miss is a china marker/grease pencil.
    I used to comp imagery like this with colored pencils and markers and then emphasize the line with a china marker... And retouch with pastels or - whiteout!

That I can get the same production quality and "feeling" with a drawing application is a gas!

Attaching another from the same subject... Undersea creatures - imagined!

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your style is so wonderful, Craig. I'd love to be able to do stuff like this! Even with a scary sea monster (well, it looks like a scary sea monster, is it?), there's a touch (ok, more of a massive *thump*) of whimsy in your imagery. I love it!

- Gita

Re: thanks

Ooo, I like this one. The occupants of that sailboat are in for quite a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by craig deeley
    Thanks for the good words.

I am also really enjoying the dry media.
    The only thing I miss is a china marker/grease pencil.
    I used to comp imagery like this with colored pencils and markers and then emphasize the line with a china marker... And retouch with pastels or - whiteout!
    Once you've sketched in and coloured taking advantage of the paper texture, try working without the paper texture.
    From the layer palette, there's an arrow at the right of the 'Load Tracing Image' button. That pops up a menu. Select 'Edit Paper Settings' from that menu. That will pop up the paper settings dialog. Just above the 'Cancel' button is a radial control for 'Roughness'. Take that setting down to zero (will give a perfectly smooth, glassy surface for your paper)
    Hit 'Ok', and you're back to your sketch. Now if you take the 'softness' setting of the pecil way up to 100%, you end up with a very solid, heavy unbroken stroke. Adjust the softness setting of the pencil to get the effect you're after.

Hope that helps.

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Inking

Andy,

That would be the next step to a fine line version. An inked version or a fine pencil version.
    An "ink" line over the top with a smooth edge would pop things enormously.
    All it takes is a new layer and a steady hand. - LOL! Which I dont have. I rely on wrist speed and undo... and or vector apps to fine line.

I would make ArtRage a final platform for illustration if I could push the image to a higher DPI.
    Even as it is being able to increase the image size at 72 DPI can give me a lot to work with.

I am keeping my eye open for tips and tricks. And will pass any along that I can. The squid image is again a pencil layer on top of a color layer that is mostly markers and a layer on top of all for retouch with pencil and chalk or crayon.

Gita, - for this project (and many more) the more whimsy the better; )

Thanks!

Craig

Hi Craig, i agreewith Gita, these fantastic illustrations look like the finished pictures you find in childrens books, ...