ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Trashing the Dress

Trashing the Dress

A new fad... taking pictures after the wedding.

click here: you know you want to.

Interesting site Albert
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

One man's trash. . .

From an artistic point of view, some of those images are quite striking.

In an age where the sanctity of marriage has devolved to the point where more than half of them result in divorce, I suppose it is not surprising to see marriage ceremonies being taken to the low point of being yet another excuse to engage in what is ultimately adolescent frivolity. Despite the best efforts of religion it is still the case that monogamy has never been the normal biological state of humanity or even of mammals. One can count with small numbers the species who "mate for life" and even in those cases there is a surprising amount of philandering on the part of both sexes. I don't say any of that to sound judgmental. That's just the way it is.

So maybe it's a form of social evolution that we are beginning to recognize that "happily ever after" is, in most cases, an almost unobtainable goal in any setting outside of fairy tales.

Interesting take, Robert. But I fear it's a little like saying that since we're all going to die someday, what's the point?

Pragmatically speaking for the moment, what's the purpose of marriage then? The institution of marriage has been a societal stabilizer at the very least, forming alliances on various levels and tracking paternity and inheritance and so on. It's also a contract, as Simon and Garfunkel sang "We'll marry our fortunes together." It's a structure for building where there may not otherwise have been. It's not all bad, though shadowy things do come out in that context where guards are lowered, and personal and family ghosts rule the roost.

As to the trashing of the dress, symbolically. . . also interesting. I think guys are far less tied to the wedding trappings than the girl, and the wedding dress is a sentimental memento. It is on them to place value and how that impacts their spouse the reverence with which they demonstrate their marriage.

Rather grim to think it's emblematic of hypocrisy from the get go. Real sad. If that's the tone at the outset, what possible chance does the union have?

I suppose this dress trashing could be looked at as an iconoclastic, icon-busting sort of thing, and for some it well could be. For some they may look at how messed up marriages seem to be as the institution has been largely managed in this world where community is virtually non-existent anymore and social structures are generally breaking down. And the young people are looking to make it something better, or perhaps also for some, less pie-in-the-sky. But an artist's or photographer's take on a tradition when they are trying to make a social comment should probably not be taken for more than a look at marriage from the outside.

And the idea of tossing paint all over the garments is way more interesting than shoving wedding cake in each other's faces and snapping a photo.
    It says to me that these newlyweds see this as a way to look forward to adding lots of bright colors to the blank canvas that the white dress could represent. It's more a matter of saying that they don't want it to be the crummy institution they've seen it as being when growing up. They want to take the best as a starting point and personalize it with creativity, and show that by making marriage a creative, vital union, they will keep it constantly growing.

But for some tradition works. Some it doesn't. Some do church weddings and agree to that group's marriage template with all the personal and societal structure. Others see that as flawed and want it to be more their own way.

I wish them all every bit of luck in the world. It is what they/we make it, with all the implications that statement carries.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Dear Gzairborne, think it's stupid! TRASH is the word,,,, so, how many different way can you trash a wedding gown? who cares, like bra burning, once the point was made , doing it over and over is boreing, although the one, was it in the Grand Canyon?, was pretty because of the flow of the picture, if one has no respect for the trappings of the ceremony why bother, it is insulting to the tradition, please, just elope, you don't care and neither does anyone else, yuck!,,,,,,,, Thanks GZ, it was a good link!!!

Hopefully they can sell the image to Getty Images and recoup some of the $20,000 USD they spent on the wedding. Making art is more interesting than sitting in the closet for twenty years I guess. To me it was less a diatribe on the decline of marriage and values and more like environmental art, graffiti or pop art. Making art out of the mundane and traditional.

I got the link from the photographer of my daughter's wedding. My daughter hasn't decided to partake in the art work. Her dress is in the closet.

I thought the first image was amazing and also the flung paint one was cool.

I fear that my previous post may have been misinterpreted. I did not mean to decry the idea of marital union, only the sad state of how little regard it seems to be given in this age. As a man who has suffered the abuse of two cheating ex-wives I think I stand as a "poster child" for one who still believes in the hope and importance that marriage represents on both the personal and societal levels. Call me the eternal cockeyed optimist.

While it's true that we're all going to die someday, that's no excuse for not living a life that makes a difference to the lives of others. Maybe that's the long and short of being a good parent, a good spouse, and a good citizen. Maybe that makes no difference on a universal level but it will always be of utmost importance on a human level.

We should marry not to please only ourselves but to add value to the life of the person who we choose to marry and then spend the rest of our lives continually proving that we deserve the value that they add to our lives.

Is there a meaning to life? Is there meaning to marriage? These are existential questions that go far beyond this thread or maybe beyond human understanding. In the final analysis, these are questions that can only be answered on a personal level.