Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WIP - F-86 Sabres at RAF Shepherds Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    I am really, really amazed of your work. I absolutely love military aircraft and this painting that you made makes me want to love it more!
    Thanks, Artist. I have always been interested in aviation in general and military aviation in particular since I was a child. I've read and collected technical and history books about them and drawn and painted them for years. If you can separate them from their intended use, which is understandably distasteful to many people, many of them have a distinct beauty, especially in motion. There are also several periods of history in which they were decorated in colorful, often gaudy paint schemes which make them great subjects.

Thank you so much for your comments, gzairborne. I do tend to get wrapped up in research (which I thoroughly enjoy) and have a tendency to focus on details, which would be considered dangerous target fixation in USAF terms . The smaller scene of the refueling is in consideration for future work. Natural metal finishes are considered with good reason to be one of the harder effects to portray in aviation art. You have to achieve a metal look without going as far as a chrome look that you might see on an car. Most planes have panels in varying metals and degree of shininess. That can actually be used to advantage in making the aircraft look real and not like a toy.