Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - F-86 Sabres at RAF Shepherds Grove

Beautiful job

Love how the "grain" of the grassy areas adds to the illusion of speed.

Thanks, it's a delicate balancing act trying to give the effect of speed in relation to the ground without making the entire background a blurred mess. It's hard enough in digital, where you can play with layers. With paint on canvas, it's really a chore .

Dropped out for 8 months this time, with no working on art. Real life sucks sometimes, but this was my own fault, pure artist's block. I wasn't happy with the arrangement of buildings for some reason and this time, as it turned out, I was right. I found an aerial photo that showed the airbase in 1945 and probably as it was in 1951, since there wasn't a lot of reason to spend money on it after the end of the war. Several of the buildings that I had drawn weren't there and the roadway was different. The changes were most likely made by the USAF after they moved into the base.

I went back to the painting about a week ago and deleted the offending buildings and repainted the ground areas. I got sick of looking at the drab looking RAF saloon car on the road and decided that fighter pilots needed sports cars, so there's a 1947 MG TC and a 1949 Jaguar XK120 parking next to the Watch Office now.

I need to add some ground personnel, paint the cars, add more texture to the buildings and put in the cast shadows. I also plead guilty to taking some artistic license and adding a glow to the tailpipes of the Sabres. You wouldn't normally see this in a non-afterburning engine unless there was something wrong, but it says "jet" and "speed" and just looks right, so..... I'm much happier with the painting now and determined to finish it.

That is amazingly beautiful work. Impressed.
    www.richarddaborn.com

My sci-fi art and photos site. Glick 'gallery'

Thanks Richard, the new ArtRage worked very well on this project, unfortunately my mind had to be kick started a couple of times to get me back on track .

I think it's done, but it has to sit for a few days and be looked at with fresh eyes before I'll be sure.

I am really, really amazed of your work. I absolutely love military aircraft and this painting that you made makes me want to love it more!

You are such an amazing artist. The planning and labor that goes into your work is just spectacular to watch. Add the talent to the craftsmanship and it is an awesome thing to witness. And so conscientious with the details. The little plane and refueler in itself would be an amazing drawing. The shine and texture on the metal and paint on the metal looks so realistic it is like you can reach out and feel it with your fingertips. Breathtaking. Stunning work.