Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - F-86 Sabres at RAF Shepherds Grove

I'm afraid that I fell off the edge of the Earth again ; it ended up being a tough winter for artwork. I've gotten started on the Sabres again and hope to keep up some momentum now. Thanks for your comments and hope to not blow it as I progress. Thank God for "Save As" and "Undo".

I've laid in some color on the a/c and worked on getting the right amount of motion in the background (that's gonna be tricky). Still using the Oil Brush and Chalk mostly, with a little bit of Watercolor Brush. The darker areas in upper left are going to be cloud shadows; I'm still experimenting on the best way to portray them. AR3 is working very well so far.

Now comes the hard part; my first try at a natural metal a/c. No highlights or shadows yet, just trying to get a feel for the reflections and the various different metal finishes.

F-86A 49-1209 "El Terror" is mostly done, still needing cast shadows and some final adjustments. Now on to the other Sabres and the refueler.

2 Sabres down, 1 to go .

Amazing! It just keeps getting better and better! It´s fascinating just what can be done with AR3.

As an aside, there is a fine artist using Xara Xtreme Pro (a vector program) who focuses on airplanes. You´ve got the same crispness of the metal as he does with that program.

Again, wonderful use of AR!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Thanks Scott! AR3 is a very capable program and a bargain at that. My only reservation is that it doesn't seem to make use of memory as well as Photoshop or Painter, but it's not a big problem and then again, they cost 5 times as much . All in all, I'm very happy with AR and hopefully someday we'll have a native 64 bit version that takes care of that minor quibble.

I use Xara Etreme Pro for vector drawing and creating .pdf files, but haven't ventured into color artwork with it as of yet. It's a great all around program, a very good compliment to AR3 and another software bargain. Are you referring to Gray Ward's excellent aviation art done using Xara?

Yep, felix. He´s the one I was referring to. He does some amazing stuff, but what you´re doing here seems at least on par with his work.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

I take that as a big compliment, Scott. Gray and I are old Web-friends because of our shared enthusiasm for airplanes and fast cars . He's also the one that turned me on to Xara. You should come over to our Cat2 forum and check out everyone's aviation and motorsports art: http://felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/

Almost done with the action in the background, so I'll have to start on the buildings, which doesn't get me too excited.

A detail, just a little more to do.

Some work done on the background buildings and a first try at adding people to the image.