Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wizard and Fire

Gallery
    View images

Wizard and Fire

So I did all the color in photoshop, but all the shapes and texture I did in AR because the interface is so much easier for that type of thing, but I've been struggling to figure out how to get this sort of effect in AR without painting in greyscale and then coloring with photoshop. Any ideas? I'm fairly happy with the result, but I would love to hear any suggestions you people have concerning how to to lighting etc. I want to be a better artist!

Also, I was trying to draw the old wizard cross legged, but now he looks legless. Sigh. Anyways, critique away! I've included the original greyscale as well as a curiosity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wizard and fire color.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	33864  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wizard and fire.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	33865  

Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Cool in its composition and lighting.
    BTB, You could have tried AR itself for coloring also. I feel AR has all the necessary features except image quality correction-facility. Hope you agree with me!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Gray, Wenkat gives good advise!,,,,and you did a good job here, the fire contrast especially,,,

Gallery
    View images
    Don't be over critical of your painting gray, i see his legs, always did, the mind plays wonderful tricks

It needs work, and i don't know how to advise you on that so i'll just finish with doing really well, your off to a flying start
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I work best shape and light wise in black and white, adding color later onto the greyscale. How would I do that in AR without either ruining the greyscale or covering it up entirely? I used Photoshop because you can set the brush there to various settings. I used the color, soft light and normal settings to get all the way there. As far as I know, the AR airbrush only has the "normal" setting, which covers up everything below it. Any thoughts? I know AR has a lot of color capacity, it's just not as specific as I'd like it to be, in this case, but I'd like to learn how to do it in AR. Switching programs is a bother.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, I like this Gray! I never go to this area because I don't feel that I qualify-as I am still learning. I think your painting is terrific, and agree that PS is incredible for these things. I love AR for its unique textural effects, but long for the magic wand and masking capabilities.
    Now my dear.....
    The world was young, the mountains green,
    No stain yet on the moon was seen,
    No words were laid on stream or stone
    When Durin woke and walked alone.

Who am I, to where am I referring?

Gallery
    View images
    From You Sir on my Walk thread:

It passed the lonely Mountain bare
    and swept above the dragon's lair :
    there black and dark lay boulders stark
    and flying smoke was in the air.

It left the world and took its flight
    over the wide seas of the night.
    The moon set sail upon the gale,
    and stars were fanned to leaping light.

Where am I?

Oh you are a sneaky sneaker! There I was pouring over my LOTR book- then I said Ah ha!.....
    The grasses hissed, their tassles bent,
    The reeds were rattling -- on it went
    O'er shaken pool under the heavens cool
    Where racing clouds were torn and rent.

The Dwarves song at Beornes house from The Hobbit.
    Where? The Lonely Mountain
    Am I right?

Gallery
    View images
    Forgive me Gray, I will have to re-read Queer Lodgings again to make sure I am accurate.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Gray! Very good painting, and an interesting idea to use photoshop over greyscale for coloring. Never thought of it before. I also don't think your wizard looks legless. Before I read your comment, I thought he was kneeling down on his knees

I don't know of a way to do what you want here... unless you want to use a pen-shading type of style (similar to what is often seen in watercolor paintings) and then use oils to paint in a layer beneath that. A comic-book style of shading could be done this way too. Probably not quite what you're looking for, just throwing ideas out there for greyscale shading and then adding color
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau

Gallery
    View images
    I love your composition and colours, and the overall "mood" of the painting... nicely done. I am still learning the art of computer generated art works, myself, so, unfortunately cannot guide you in your quest. However, if you have found a technique that achieves your desired end result, then why change? Only guidance I could ever give at this stage is play, play play! That it how I learn anything computer related... just play.
    "I don't mean to be rude, mister, but, may I ask what exactly you are looking at?"
    "I was just noticing your friend, there."
    "I don't know why. He's not much to look at, and I don't think he would reciprocate your interest."