Thread: Up and Out

Up and Out

I am working on shading and seek critique. I do not consider this done but I do not know what to do next. The green bits are supposed to be glowing suction cups, but I'm having a heck of a time conveying that. They should start off very well defined and floppy at the bottom and then get less pronounced near the tip until they look more like glowing bumps.

-Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I figured it would be easier to show the adjustments i made than trying to explain but its may not be the same idea you have in your head. i just darkened around the circles and made an even darker area for the suction cup center. and then used the chalk for the glow. Im not the greatest artist around here for advice but hope i could provide any help whatsoever and if not maybe someone else around here could provide better advice

Thank you for your visual! It was helpful, I'll see if I can get back to this dastardly tentacle.

I think part of the challenge is that I was trying to make very subtle shading from very soft diffuse lighting. I envisoned the sky kind of lighting up the little guy from all around. It may be better to start with bolder higher contrast lighting. At least that's what the gut feeling I'm going with.

Cheers,
    -Jon

Gallery
    View images
    Hey arku

well... firstly man.. u have some nice flat tones to work with... and definitely nice purples. I would suggest by working in some darks really start to push ur image back a little... then when u think u have some decent depth.. slap another layer in and start pushing where ur highlights will start coming in. this will really help to pop out your tentacle.. right now its just seems to me on a 2d plane ontop of another 2d plane.

lastly what i wanted to suggest is composition.. u dont ever or should i say very rarely do u put an image slap bang in the middle.. i say this because i am a photographer and 3d artist. Composition is very important in all mediums... Im assuming ur tentacle is on another layer.. move it over to the right a bit.. that way there is afeeling of space infront of it..as if it is waiting for something or.. if u get more confident later in ur work u can add another interesting object within that space.. even then composition will be a little better as the rule of thirds wil have been applied

shew.. a bit long winded man.. Hope im not sounding like some all might y master artist.. haha.. i am far from it .. so pls take of it as u will even if just one thing i said is a help..

roache

That is very helpful, Roach, thank you! I will give this another attempt tonight and see how it goes!

-Jon

Gallery
    View images
    Hey man

well i went ahead and did a little bit to ur drawing .. hope u dont mind.. but just wanted to show u what i meant by the different shades.. however this is very much my style though.. with smooth charcoal underneath and then sketch pencil ontop.. but u get the idea.. wasnt going to get fully involved
    so i just roughed it in for u ..

hope this helps.. if u are wanting it to glow.. i would suggest taking it into photoshop..

good luck..

G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    ohh roache.... i wanna do that too... :cry: :wink:

nice one and indeed really helpful...i think playing with 3d programms can be very helpful to understood how light and materials react!

hmmm my post might not be helpful aarku, but roache tells it all...theres nothing more to say and draw!

good luck to both of you!

greez
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    hehe... well im sure you could probably do a better job than me .. hehe.. im not the best 2d artist around.. my main speciality is 3d actually.

speaking of which.. that as a very good suggestion Maror.

playing around in 3d and getting a grasp of lighting within in the application is a good idea.. i suggest playing with only 2 spot lights and a filler.. in maya a directional light would be good... at half the intensity.. use your spot light for main lighting and the other spot light for a back light.. double the intensity..

ur aim is to get a nice highlight kicking of your object from the back..

u can even build a simple tenticle and play around from there..

good luck