Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing tablets

Gallery
    View images

Drawing tablets

OK, this blonde finally figured out she needs a tablet to really play with ArtRage (no, I'm not as talented as Gray) so Bamboo is what I kept hearing... the thread on the wacom tablets doesn't sound very hopefull or easy enough for a blonde, so I decided to ask the experts what they use.... Anybody willing to share the info on thier favorite tablet & why?

Gallery
    View images
    I use a Wacom Graphire 4 (4x5). It was as easy as plugging it in and putting in the installation CD. It's the first and only drawing tablet I've used so far. Though my pen grip is getting bent up from all it's use, lol. I guess I should look into seeing if they can be replaced...
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    The Wacom Thread was mine

Grab anything from the Little Wacom Bamboo fun, right up too a large size Intuos 4, if it's your 1st tablet, i would highly recommend buying one that's smaller in size, it's much easier to learn on then a large one, i tried learning on my Dad's, it's huge, i felt lost, now that i have my small Bamboo Fun, i feel right at home, it has more than enough space

What ever you do, buy a Wacom, don't waste money on any other brand, that was what my thread was largely about, my wasting of money on an inferior brand
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I use a Wacom Cintiq 21UX with 21.3" diagonal display.
    It runs about $2100 bucks. It's a space hog yes, but it's a great toy.
    I wouldn't recommend using it on your lap, it heats up pretty good.

mb
    Mbrienza

Gallery
    View images
    I've got a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (A5 I think) and its great. I've managed to wear a nib down already mind so thats not so great but it feels really natural to use.

Since you've already got AR that may be a reason *not* to get a bamboo fun as it comes with it.

Unless your a fullblown artist already then I'd say anything bigger than A5 maybe pointless as you will mostlikely paint like the rest of us using mostly wrist(although I use my shoulder some on mine)

The Wacoms are pricy but to be honest, I cant see why I'd need too ever get another one it just seems so sturdy and If I did....It would be another wacom

Go to a shop and make them set one up... then buy it on the internet
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Gallery
    View images
    I have Bamboo A5 at home and Intuos 3 A5 at work, not much of a difference - Bamboo doesn't have tilt, but you don't need it either with AR. Get anything from WACOM that suits your wallet, just don't go below A5 size. Good luck!
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for all the info. I borrowed a small old one from a friend who just upgraded to see how it works. Man! I am left handed and just being able to use my left hand is great! I am going to get one ASAP. So get ready for a flood of questions!

Gallery
    View images
    Bamboo Fun for me. And LOVING it!

irishrose Guest
    Squirls,

If you get a Intuos 4 small, you can switch the cord from one side to the other which gives a left handed person a great degree of control.

I think Wacom is selling them for 229 USD. I have the medium size one that I got for a little more than 100 dollars more but it does not have the capability of switching the cords. I have the dial that lights up though, which the small does not. I'm sure you'll find one you like The intuos 4 now has double the sensitivity. I had ordered one last year when it first came out and didn't like it for some reason, and sent it back No Questions Asked (that's their 30 day try out period). This year, ordered the size up from the small and I love it, so it's just one of those things. Wacom, def the way to go!

Gallery
    View images

The Basics Of 1st Tablet Buying

These tips are based on many years usage of Wacom tablets of all types and sizes. My main tablet is a 21" Cintiq. I love it to death and it is the ultimate but I would not choose it for a first tablet.

More important than Intuos vs Bamboo is size. The most practical size is 6 x 8 (A5). It gives a good hand movement to cursor movement ratio. While a larger tablet size might seem more logical, the beginner is likely to find the larger hand/arm movements disconcerting and the 6 x 8 (A5) size will feel more natural while drawing.

6 x 8 (A5) size has another important quality. It is the biggest size which is easily transportable. If you decide you want to draw in another studio or out doors, or take the tablet to class, the 6 x 8 (A5) size fits nicely into the same bag as your laptop. This means that even people like me with a 21" Cintiq still own (and use regularly) a 6 x 8 (A5) tablet as well. It is the good little portable workhorse.

Do not get a smaller tablet than 6 x 8. I know that 4 x 5 is cheaper and even more portable, but it is too small for natural hand movements and makes for a cramped drawing style.

The beginner is realistically not going to notice the difference between the Intuos and the Bamboo and if you are a hobbyist then I would definitely advise using the Bamboo. They are excellent tablets and you will never regret buying one.

However, Wacom tablets are amazingly durable (it is the pens that often wear out first) and so you will have it for a long time, so if you are a fine arts student at university or otherwise a professional artist then get the Intuos first because you will get to a point where the tilt sensitivity and the extra levels of pressure sensitivity will become apparent as you gain mastery of digital painting. For professionals the general advice with all art materials purchases is to buy the best that you can afford at the time because in skilled hands better materials will give you more dynamic range. The same applies for Wacom tablets.