Thread: (Q) Has anyone ever sold a digital painting?

Gallery
    View images

Question (Q) Has anyone ever sold a digital painting?

I had a long chat with one of my friends and we somehow stumbled over this topic. She likes to paint (in real oil colours) and also decided to start doing digital paintings some months ago. As it seems my Wacom Bamboo One impressed her quite a bit back then.

Anyway: She is much better than me (trust me!) in both^ and is now considering to sell some of her paintings, the real ones and digital ones. She has sold some of her oil pictures before on a garage sale, but has no experience selling digital art. So she asked me, but I have absolutely no clue about that either.

Has anybody experience with selling digital art on a non-professional (that means roughly about ~<50 bucks per picture) level?
    Is it worth all the effort? Are there special problems that one has to watch out for (file-formats, sizes etc)?

Gallery
    View images
    I haven't tried to sell anything as a print on a canvas yet, but I do know there have been a few topics posted here about how to do so. One thread I recall can be found here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ead.php?t=7581

That said, I have sold digital images for commercial use on items such as coffee mugs, license plates, tote-bags, etc.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Gee, many thanks for this, Someonesane!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that yes
    I have sold my digital art transferred to canvas print. from my blog site and also from a licensing web site. for home and office interiors. It can be a chore but I do it. You have to insure that the painting you produce is saved large enough and also basically in a tif file a jpeg file and a pdf file. one never knows what the printer will require. but I do know that they want a high rez file to produce the finist in reproduction. Also you have to foot the cost all up front in most instances. It's not cheap. the last painting I had reproduced onto canvas was a 24 x36 inch painting and it cost me just over 90.00 dollars US. and then I had to stretch it and frame it and ship it. When it was all said and done I made about 50 dollars profit. so if you sell enough you could make serious money.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I haven't tried to sell anything as a print on a canvas yet, but I do know there have been a few topics posted here about how to do so. One thread I recall can be found here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ead.php?t=7581

That said, I have sold digital images for commercial use on items such as coffee mugs, license plates, tote-bags, etc.
    My etsy.com site is not currently active but I have made several sales through there.

Gallery
    View images
    I've done many digital illustrations commissioned by other people. I haven't sold any personal digital paintings after the fact - what's there to sell in such case? - but I had sold some large format prints of such.

So there is your answer, I suppose. It's possible.

Gallery
    View images

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! That was exactly the kind of info I needed for her.

Gallery
    View images
    Also, they may be interested in looking into the print on demand sites, such as Zazzle - takes a bit of time setting it up, but there are no other overheads (I've sold a few things through there - mostly postcards, but there's a bumper sticker that's really popular, and a handful of prints/posters).

Redbubble may be a good one, too - not sure how much they sell, but it's a nice place to practice having a gallery and they're quality is very high. (Oh, and for personal orders, beware of shipping : Redbubble is the only one I know of not based in the US, it's in Australia)

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, Flynn_the_Cat! She was a bit overwhelmed when I gave her all the infos here (she's a bit old-fashioned). I hope I did not totally scare her away from the idea.