Thread: how to.....

Gallery
    View images

how to.....

How do you make things look transparant, like wings or fabric. When I use the airbrush it works a little bit but when I want it to become the right color it also get solid. I hope I explaned it right. Can anyone explane how I should do that? I have the programm now for two week, it came with a bamboo tablet. I really love it, but after drawing the "normal" way for many years it takes a lot of practice.
    And one more question. The pencil doesn't go as quick as I do . Is that a problem with the pc or can you change that in the programm? Thanks already!

Gallery
    View images
    If the pencil's slow - well, what is your computer like and what size canvases are you using? It might be struuggling, or it might be something else. (And is it the pencil tool? Or everything?)

For transparency.... well, do you have the free version? It matters, what we tell you you can do!

But you CAN use the eraser tool, turn pressure right down to about 10% (decide for yourself how much works) and erase lightly. I use that one a lot

Also, you can paint OVER the 'fabric' with (for example) skin colour - very lightly using low loading/pressure

EDIT: And wow, your eye picture is fantastic!

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you. I'm going to try that.

I have the full version 2.5. It came with the bamboo tablet

And about the pencil. When I'm painting or using the airbrush and I do a lot of work with the pencil it takes a while before all the work that I did with it is visible on the screen. The stripes turn up a bit later then I made them with the pencil. So you can't work to quick because you don't see it at the same time. But that's only with a lot of colour or paint.

My quess is that it's the pc. Not to young any more and not really made for these programms (hp pavilion). Saving for a mac

Gallery
    View images
    well, if you have the full version, there are a lot more settings - eg in the layer modes - that you can play with. (eg opacity level, overlay)

My preferred method right now is the light erase - or a thin wash over the top, to create highlights and lowlights.
    Also, try using the soft palette knife to blend the colour.

Ah, are you keeping the pen down the whole time then lifting at the end? ArtRage doesn't finish calculating until you 'finish', which can really slow things down with some tools. the airbrush is particularly bad for this, the soft palette knife, and occasionally fullly loaded, large paintbrushes. But I've never seen it with the pencil tool - do you have a particularly slow computer?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn_the_Cat View Post
    But I've never seen it with the pencil tool - do you have a particularly slow computer?
    I think tinkerbel is referring to the "stylus pen" from the drawing tablet, when saying "pencil".
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry for that. Yes I do mean the "pencil" that came with the tablet. But maybe it's easier to use short stripes and lift it up in between instead of just going on the whole time.

But I do believe that my pc is not that good for these things. Just have to go on saving for a good one!

Thank you all for your help!

Gallery
    View images
    You don't necessarily need whole new computer, maybe all you need is a bigger hardrive or a little more RAM, ask a friend to look into it with you if your not sure Ok ?

I have a 2 year old PC which isn't anything special, but it does have a big hardrive, and 2 Gig of Ram, i pay particular attention to keeping it very clean both on the outside and on the inside. Make sure you defragment your hardrive occasionally, makes a huge difference on performance, and keep it dust free

I apologize if you were already aware of these things.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you! No I don't know that much about computers. I always go to my brother. So thank you for telling me and I will let my brother know

Gallery
    View images
    Tinkerbel, one way to make things look transparent is to use layers. For instance, if you wanted to do a picture of a bee, draw or paint the body of the bee on the first layer. Add another layer and paint in the wings and use the opacity control. Experiment with the degree of opacity. You should be able to see the layer below more clearly.