ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Very Sad News, Patrick Swayze Has lost his fight with cancer

Very Sad News, Patrick Swayze Has lost his fight with cancer

I was huge fan of Swayze, i loved every single movie he made, he fought for all the things i believed in and thought were right, h showed humility and courage, he was a mans man, and an awesome actor

Quoted form BigPond News: Link to the full story is here: Story

The actor Patrick Swayze has died after a long battle with cancer, the publicist for the Dirty Dancing star has announced.
    'Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months,' said a statement released on Monday evening by his publicist, Annett Wolf. No other details were given.
    Fans of the actor were saddened to learn in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from a particularly deadly form of cancer.
    He had kept working despite the diagnosis, putting together a memoir with his wife and shooting The Beast, an AE cable television drama series for which he had already made the pilot. It drew a respectable 1.3 million viewers when the 13 episodes ran in 2009, but AE said it had reluctantly decided not to renew it for a second season.
    Swayze said he opted not to use painkilling drugs while making The Beast because they would have taken the edge off his performance. He acknowledged that time might be running out given the grim nature of the disease.
    When he first went public with the illness, some reports gave him only weeks to live, but his doctor said his situation was 'considerably more optimistic' than that.
    'I'd say five years is pretty wishful thinking,' Swayze told ABC television's Barbara Walters in early 2009. 'Two years seems likely if you're going to believe statistics. I want to last until they find a cure, which means I'd better get a fire under it.'
    A three-time Golden Globe nominee, Swayze became a star with his performance as the misunderstood bad-boy Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing. As the son of a choreographer who began his career in musical theatre, he seemed a natural to play the role.
    A coming-of-age romance starring Jennifer Grey as an idealistic young woman on holiday with her family and Swayze as the resort's sexy (and much older) dance instructor, the film made great use of both his grace on his feet and his muscular physique.
    It became an international phenomenon in the summer of 1987, spawning albums, an Oscar-winning hit song in (I've Had) the Time of My Life, stage productions and a sequel, 2004's Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, in which he made a cameo.

Dirty Dancing is just one of many many movies that have changed and directed my life.
    Last edited by Silentman; 09-15-2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Yeah. Sad. I was sorta blindsided a couple months ago when I was in the check out line at the grocery store when I saw a tabloid headline talking about his fight with cancer. That was bad enough, but the photo -- unreal. This couldn't have been the handsome lead actor. He looked 90. I thought they had screwed around with the pic. Impossible picture, but I guess not.

Anyway, I found him a charismatic actor who managed to evoke lots of sympathy for his characters. City of Joy, although not romantic in a boy-girl sort of way, was all about a broader form of heart. I found it a remarkable film that didn't receive it's due, in my opinion. He was great in it. And Ghost.

Well, his work was great. And he got some amazing roles. Bon Voyage, Patrick.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Ghost is one of my very most all time favorites, right along side and pipping the Titanic at the post

There was another one he was in, he was a Bouncer in a rough western town, can't remember the name of it, but it was great too
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Ghost is one of my very most all time favorites, right along side and pipping the Titanic at the post

There was another one he was in, he was a Bouncer in a rough western town, can't remember the name of it, but it was great too

Roadhouse

to wong foo was amusing but probably not his best work but i thought he did a good job in Donie Darko and Point Break.
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

You will be missed Patrick. What amazing movies and happiness you brought to my family in the watching of many of them. Dirty Dancing was like a rite of passage with my girls. They will be very saddened when they hear about this as I am.
    Some really all time classic movies in his career. Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing, Point Break, Ghost, City of Joy and Roadhouse. What a bunch of great films.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 09-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Very Sad!

I was a just a teenager when Dirty Dancing and Ghost came out.
    But they are still two of my most Favourite Films.
    Hally

Broke my heart.

What is the risk to cancer (oncology) nurses from working with dangerous chemotherapy drugs?What is the risk to nurses working in the cancer field (oncology) due to their proximity to cancer causing drugs and radiation and chemotherapy? I am hearing stories of many oncology nurses loosing their hair?
    Last edited by charlottex; 09-29-2009 at 08:01 PM.