ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas Move and Rotate

Canvas Move and Rotate

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, so let me just say, I've been using ArtRage for a couple months now and you've put together an amazing little art program. I regularly hop back and forth between it, Photoshop, and sometimes Painter to do a lot of my work. And I recommend it to a lot of my friends; for $20 it's hard to go wrong and easy to be impressed.

I also thank you from the bottom of my heart for including Mac users along with our Windows friends.

In general, I agree that ArtRage should keep a simple interface and do what it does best rather than try to feature-compete with the bigger programs (although I am intrigued by the idea of a "big red switch" mentioned on another thread. However, there's one interface area that gives me no end of headache: the move and rotate canvas functions.

1) With the move function, it would be really nice if the "move canvas" function could be accessed by a modifier key. It's very disruptive in the middle of painting some detail when you have to move your cursor down to choose the Move tool, drag the canvas where you want it, and then refocus on which tool you were using in the tool cluster before going back to work. Photoshop handles this very elegantly: when and while you hold down the space bar, your cursor temporarily changes to the "move canvas" tool so you can reposition your page; releasing the space bar returns you to the tool you were using. Something like this could be worked right into your UI without any additional clutter, I would think.

2) With the rotate canvas function, it would be nice if the point of rotation for the canvas would be around the center of the WINDOW, not the center of the CANVAS. As it is now, if you're zoomed in doing some detail work in a corner of your drawing and you try to rotate the canvas, the area you're working on swings way out to some other corner of the universe. Not only can you no longer see how far you're rotating what you wanted to rotate, but once you're done you have to go to the Move tool and go find the area you were working on again.

Take heart, though; so far those are my only quibbles! Otherwise an awesome program. Keep up the great work.

Hi there,

You will be glad to find out that right click-drag (including OS X right click, or Ctrl-click if you don't have a 2 button mouse) moves the canvas around. There have been enough requests for the spacebar feature that I'm looking at doing that. Originally, with the Tablet PC specific model, the goal was to make the system accessible via the mouse primarily which is why that got overlooked. Alt-Right Click-Drag rotates the canvas.

As for rotation centre, we've made a note and that may also get looked at for a revision soon.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

OH SWEET!! I never noticed the right-click thing because I was primarily using my Wacom, not my mouse; but I can easily program one of the side buttons on the pen to accomplish the same thing. The space bar would be a nice "bonus" option, though, handy for people switching between programs.

Thanks for making a note on the canvas rotation thing. As an animator (when I can find work, anyway ) I'm used to working on a disc I can spin around as I draw, so the rotate canvas feature was originally a big deal for me, but I find I rarely use it because it's a bit of a hassle to actually use the way I'd want to.

Thanks also for the fast reply! Obviously you guys rock even harder than I first realized.