ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage quality compared with Corel Painter

ArtRage quality compared with Corel Painter

Hi,

I have been playing with the free version of ArtRage for a while and have been quite impressed. However, when I compared ArtRage with Corel Painter Sketch Pad, which came free with my Wacom tablet, I found that without any tweaking the smoothness of the lines I draw in Painter is way better than those in ArtRage. I have a simple sample image from both programs attached to show what I mean. Are there any adjustments in ArtRage that can make the lines smoother? Or perhaps the professional version will give better results?

--Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey Joe,

where you goin' with that Gun in your hand.............No sorry..........just a silly old musician who can't resist a bit of fun..............seriously what tools did you compare ..........the included examples were done in AR 2.5 with crayon ..........felt pen and chalk.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corel or ar.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	33158  
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Dear Joe, Hello! being old and technically challenged, ArtRage is perfect for me, if you investigate some of the artwork here from the amazing artists you will see a range from beginners to professionals all able to 'make it work' to their own skills, still practicing here, but, just enjoy!

Hi there!

Which tool are you using in ArtRage? Also, what effect you are specifically looking for? I see you're using an opaque tool in one product, and a non-opaque tool in the other, which would certainly explain differences in appearance.

Also, can you tell me what operating system you're using?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

ArtRage integrates natural paper textures with its strokes, and does only minor correction of the stroke path to smooth it. Our goal is to produce a product that gives a more natural 'real media' look to the result, rather than focusing on a digital result. If all the strokes are too smoothed then the result looks contrived and less natural.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Oh oh Joe. I sense that you may have unintentionally released the dogs of ART.

I've no doubt you can achieve that effect in AR should you want to but I'd say the same as the others here.
    Its a natural media application, it tries to simulate the experience of paint so comparisions with painter or anyother tool will be an exercise in futility.

Get your brush out and paint, change the settings and paint. see what you can do in AR you might be suprised.

and welcome
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

First off let me say again that AR is amazing for what it can do. There's no question about that.

I'm just wondering if I haven't discovered the proper technique for what I considered to be a fundamental quality --- how closely the software mimics the simple sketching strokes using a pencil or felt tipped pen.

I am using XP with a WACOM Intuos4 that I just bought. It has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity so I'm quite convinced that the tablet is not the cause of the symptoms I'm talking about.

The Intuos4 comes with Corel Painter Sketch Pad. It's really a crippled program with very limited features. The free version of AR beats it hands down in terms of features. However, in my very simple test of stroke smoothness Painter seems more natural.

Take a close look at the 2 sample images. The brush types I used on the 2 programs are different, but I believe I'm comparing qualities that are not related to the brush types. But I'm prepared to be told otherwise.

I don't work for Corel, and I balk at the high price of the full Painter program. Trust me when I say that I really want AR to beat Painter. So my test is in no way biased against AR. I've sketched many many times this letter 'T' in both programs, making the strokes as smooth as I can. The images I posted are the best I can make from either programs.

On the AR image, notice the width modulation along the length of the single smooth stroke. There is some taper at the beginning and the end, but the transition is rather abrupt. Also, notice where I turned the stroke from horizontal to vertical in a tiny loop. There is no taper there, and hence the 'loop' disappeared. Also notice the smoothness of the outline of the stroke. You can see that it's kind of kinky, particularly on the bottom part.

Now compare that to the Corel Painter image. The width modulation is very smooth all throughout the stroke, and with great variability. This is particularly noticeable, and important, where I turned from horizontal to vertical. The corner is very graceful (well, as 'graceful' as I can make it using a real pencil on paper). I cannt expect anything better (from me). Also notice the lack of kinks. This is not just because I used a soft edged brush. The quality is similar with other brush types (take my word for that for now, although I'm more than happy to provide samples if you don't believe me).

Fair comment. I didnt think you were an affiliate.

The "paper" that you paint on makes a difference. If you set the grain to 0 or use something like the Cell/Acetate setting then the strokes will be smoother. I'm not sure you can on the "free" version

Tip-Feel can account for sensitivity and the ability to vary your stroke.

Corel may support pen Tilt were as I dont think AR2.5 does I may be corrected on that. This would account for your stroke variation somewhat.

Corel may apply some dampening to your strokes like Zbrush does reducing shake etc.

maybe ...
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Quote Originally Posted by coffeham View Post
    I'm just wondering if I haven't discovered the proper technique for what I considered to be a fundamental quality --- how closely the software mimics the simple sketching strokes using a pencil or felt tipped pen.
    I think this is a matter of perspective. From my point of view, the Pencil tool in ArtRage works better then any other program I've ever used, because of the way it mimics the the appearance and feel of a true pencil. With a true pencil, the marks would pick up on the texture of the paper and there would be no tapering or line dampening for help in straightening one's line work.

The Felt tip marker is the same, in my opinion, in terms of it's appearance. There's still no line dampening, but it's not that far off from what you've shown. It might not be possible with the free version (because it requires a settings change that might not be availble in the "Starter Edition"), but one can get the Felt Tip tool to taper and react to pressure. I use it for inking images all the time (See screen shot below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feltpen.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	33193
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoster View Post
    Corel may apply some dampening to your strokes like Zbrush does reducing shake etc.
    So you're a ZBrush user too? I bought the Intuos mostly for ZB. But at $25 I thought I might as well get AR too.

Whatever it is that Corel is doing, I wish/hope AR has it too. To the uninitiated Corel behaves more like a real brush/pen out-of-the-box. The kinks are only noticeable at 1:1 scale.

For an even simpler comparison, I created a 300x300 pixel surface on both programs, and just drew a series of quick strokes. I doubt if anybody can dispute that the Corel one looks more like real scribbles.

That said, the Painter Sketch Pad program that came with the Intuos is not much more than bloatware. It doesn't even allow you to save the painting as JPEG.
    Attached Images Attached Images