ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "real" beginners forum ?

"real" beginners forum ?

why cant there be a critique /hints forum thread for us real "newbis". feels really sad when one posts a picture and people making wonderfull artwork gives critique as they would to a fellow artist.

I love watching all the wonderful pictures, but i am no where near making the same classed pictures. Just a pondering i had..

I guess I'm missing the point somewhat...?

Why wouldn't someone want advice from a person who, by ones own opinion, is better then themselves? Critique is good from anyone as far as I'm concerned, but a person can only learn so much from people who are of the same skill level. I also feel that separating members into groups of "beginners" and "experts" (or what have you) will put some people off, who may then not want to participate at all.

I can understand getting frustrated if, for example, someone posted a blanket statement like, "You need to take color theory classes" or something to that effect, when all one really wanted was some simple advice like, "why not add some shading under the arm". But that's as easy as letting people know in the main post that this is the type of information one is looking for. Then the type of responses can be narrowed down, because everyone knows what type of information or help is being sought after and everyone can then focus their attention on that point.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I can see why okasa would feel this way, of late there have been a few replies in the critique thread that haven't been helpful, they seem rather blunt actually, from my POV anyways.

okasa, when you start a thread, as SS said, outline the critique your looking for, it's hard to know sometimes what to say to someone who is learning, i'm still learning, but i give critique too if i feel i can, in this forum Critique should be about helping one another, encouragement, warm inviting, encouraging statements that help to steer a beginning artist to future success, i hope this is the way i come across in all the critique posts i have written
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

I would still want access to new people. They refresh this tired ol' digital artists waning enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by okasa View Post
    why cant there be a critique /hints forum thread for us real "newbis". feels really sad when one posts a picture and people making wonderfull artwork gives critique as they would to a fellow artist.

I love watching all the wonderful pictures, but i am no where near making the same classed pictures. Just a pondering i had..
    okasa, when people critique sometimes they comment on the technical aspects and sometimes they just give an opinion. You need to outline what which you want to hear and people will give it.
    If you say I'm having trouble sketching you'll get help on sketching. If you say what do you think? you could get anykind of comments.

I'm starting out too and totally understand where your coming from. I'm very sensitive at the best of times and putting your work out there is hard but its the best thing you can do. That doesnt mean that people can become personal but sometimes because we are emotional we can feel as if they are. Remember we are typing text here

And as for making the same classed pictures as others, look around the gallery. There are hundreds of different styles of paintings. Some look like photos, others like blobs of paint.
    It doesnt matter your technical level what matters is you paint what you saw in your head. Do that and accept your current skill level as who you are now and stay enthusiastic.

I'm going to follow your posts now and make sure everyone plays nice. Segregation is not the solution
    I look forward to your next post.
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )