ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a problem

I'm having a problem

Something is boring about these three AR images. I'm looking to add a little something to them, but I can't figure out what.
    Could it be a background? If so, what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	32992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sister Kittrell.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	32993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white men.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	32994  

The 1st seems like you have the detail the wrong way around, the background is incredible and yet the foreground is far less detailed, creating a bizarre effect indeed, according to me anyways.

The 2nd and 3rd i feel need some work on the backgrounds, they are bland, even just a little bit of texture might help the backgrounds, not too much though as you would want to keep the portraits the main focus.

Overall Evart they are great pictures and i hope some of what i have said helps to improve them, i like your portraits alot but i look forward to you trying out the pallet knife or even a dry brush to blend a bit more, blend the shadows instead of using lines, i believe that would lift your portraits a great deal.

Hope it helps Col
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Hi Evelyn,
    My suggestion would be to use subtle variations in your colors. You did a bit of that in the third one on his face. Very little in the real world shows up as a cohesive hue; there are always at least slight variations.

Silentman, the first one looks unreal to me, and now I see you saw it the same way. I think I'll junk it, and start over. I tried to do something in the science fiction relm, but... anyway. The second and third may need other people in it for a background? or maybe just a lively background?

Robertswade, thanks for noticing the third one's face, and the variations of color. My sister says he looks like a man with a woman's hat on. LOL
    I tried to make him a fedora, but the hat looks too high on top.
    I guess I'd have to start over with the third one too.

I didn't think the 1st one required junking, i genuinely like it.

As for the 2nd and 3rd, i'll try to explain what i mean, if you had say some bland wallpaper "desaturated" on the wall, or a landscape with making sure that it's "low in detail", it would help to balance the portraits out, and make the foreground more interesting, but definitely have a play with the shadows around the nose and eye area's
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

I love the illustrative style of your portraits. I think you could maybe use stencils of a leaf or flowers to make repeating patterns like wallpaper behind them as Silentman suggested.
    The first one is a bit bizarre because it mixes two types of styles. Hard one to pull out of that one.

Hi!
    I think that the problem in the 1 picture is that you have 3 "layers" or planes there: the grass at front, the hills and the grass behind, and the planet in the infinity.....
    Try to make some continuous change in distance to create some 3D look. Another problem is that you use the same stencils, which makes your drawing boring and predictable... I mean I don't want to look for something special, because I know, that all the grass is the same... But I do like the planet very much, very interesting effect...
    About the portraits - they are very nice but a very intensive background really attracts the attention, and then you realize that there is nothing there. Some blurry pattern or some variation in colors may help...

How about adding some texture? I made a new layer and moved your painting to the top and then used the oil brush with 100% loading and 0% thinners on the bottom layer...

The brush strokes show through your picture and it gives that oil painting feel, the thick paint is really tricky to work with so this is nice and easy.

Not sure if it's worked on the first one but the portrait is nice..... and it was fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WM2.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	33691  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fraser_paice; 09-30-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Dear Eve, the stencil planet seems a little out of place as you seem to do best free hand, but have to say, love your two portraits, especially the dear lady, her expression is so good!,

texture

In my opinion, fraser_paice's recommendations on the texture are very inspired and I liked his proposal for the last portrait. The spirit of the portraits is good, especially for the lady . I think you have a pronounced graphic style in the portraits and the black contour could be refined. And, as DenDem said for the first painting, it would be better to try using less stencils; it is fun to paint the grass, for instance, instead of stamping, and the result may surprize you. Good luck!