ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constructive crits, helpful tips?

constructive crits, helpful tips?

ok, not responsible for the outline, it was a coloring page i found through here (it's from the national geographic website i think)i was more using this as a good way to learn the tools available on artrage. one of my first experiments with layers (oh, layers are great! i love them. ) i think i went a little overboard with them (there are 13 layers. if anything needs to be tweaked, it should be fairly easy.)

all in all, i think it came out ok. especially since i have no tablet. (that's all done with a mouse, yes.) but it needs something. help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horse5.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	32980

I see nothing wrong with this.
    Beautiful colouring.
    I can't do anything but click with a mouse! I'm hopeless. You, however, you can obviously handle a mouse well.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

First of all, welcome to here Hanhepi.
    My only suggestion would be to darken the area under the foreground horse to show some shadow effect. Other than that I'd only advise you to have fun with ArtRage and keep exploring the tools. This is a thoroughly delightful image.

more shadows, got ya. yeah, that would help ground the image a little more. thank you

and to weeun: i had lots of years trying to make artwork in MS Paint.... you learn to do lots with a mouse in that program. lol. oddly, i'm better with a mose than i am with a pencil, but i think that has more to do with the "undo" buttons on the computer. tablets are just so expensive! i do really want one though.

Quote Originally Posted by hanhepi View Post
    more shadows, got ya. yeah, that would help ground the image a little more. thank you

and to weeun: i had lots of years trying to make artwork in MS Paint.... you learn to do lots with a mouse in that program. lol. oddly, i'm better with a mose than i am with a pencil, but i think that has more to do with the "undo" buttons on the computer. tablets are just so expensive! i do really want one though.
    Hey welcome hanhepi, I like the image and when you used to do all you art in paint.. this isnt you is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

hahaha, no that one's not me. i'm not that good lol! (sorry for the late answer by the way.)

I like how your experiment turned out. It's amazing you were able to do all that with a mouse!
    To me, the (front) horse's head doesn't stand out as well as it might. The white shape of the body is terrific--it really pushes forward against the green background--but the head gets kind of lost because it is a similar brown to that mountain range on the right.
    It may help to add some purple or gray-blues to the mountains to make them recede, or to stroke some light on the head to pop it out.

Yes, the "something" it needs is aerial perspective. You have got the mountains the same color as the foreground, essentially. The distance should make them look hazier and bluer than this.

nice composition you chose anyway... needs more highlights shadows, shading and detail. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

Welcome to the forum!
    I echo Robert's words - experiment with the tools, and discover the many different uses each of them have.
    As far as adding something to the painting, perhaps
    a stream down in the valley?