ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we put text on the picture?

How do we put text on the picture?

Hi!

I just got ArtRage for my 13 year old daughter. She is a gifted writer and has written a series of middle-reader, adventure-fantasy books about a 10 year old tiger princess, named Saderia. We are working on publishing the first book in the series (The Tiger Princess) and she did a sketch for the cover and is now using ArtRage to turn it into a colored digital picture for the book cover. I really like the program, but we are completely new to this. I think she has worked it out how to do the picture by using the tracing feature and though it is slow going - she is getting there and it is turning out beautifully.

What I want to ask about is how can she put text on the picture? She wants the title on the picture like a normal book cover. I see one letter stencil in the program but the letters are not great looking. Is there any other way to get text on the picture without using that one letter stencil?

Thanks so much for your help!

Roz

Welcome to the Forum RoZE and daughter, ArtRage doesn't have a feature for placing text so your left with 3 options, 1 use the stencil provided, 2 export the painting for which you would like the writing into a another program such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or even the Gimp (which is free) you can import the image into those programs and place your text in what ever font you currently have on your system.

The third option would be to make a stencil with one of those programs of the words you would like to have on the picture, when making the stencil, keep in mind the the letters need to be pure white and the area surrounding the letters needs to be pure black, to make the letter appear crisp and sharp when you use the stencil to paint them, once you have done it once it's a snap, we often make stencils all the time to do various artwork

I could write a small tutorial with screen shots if you like depending on what program you decide to use to make your stencil with, if that's the avenue you and your daughter choose to go.

Once again, welcome to the forums, we are a friendly buch around here, i hope you decide to stay awhile
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Hi Roze and welcome to the ArtRage forums.

Adding text to an image with ArtRage can be a bit cumbersome, because it doesn't have any actual text tools to use. However, there are some options...

The easiest thing your daughter could do is finish the image as much as possible in ArtRage and then add the text in using a second program. Well, that's the "easiest thing" as long as you have another program to use, which has access to a text tool, that is. If you don't have an image editing program that has a text tool, you could do a couple things. First, you could do a search online for a Free to use program that has a text tool, which will allow her to import the .PNG file and then add in the text. I'd recommend something like GIMP, which is a free to download and free to use image editing program (similar to Photoshop in what it can do, but it doesn't cost $600, though it is a bit clumsier to use). Though, if you're not up to downloading and installing anything, you could go a second route and try one of the different online image editing tools. For this, I'd recommend Sumo paint. Again, this is a free to use image editor, except you don't have to download or install anything. You run it straight off the website there.

If you don't feel comfortable with either of those options, then you can always create your own alphabet stencil. The thing about this is, one has to know the basics about stencil creation and one need to find a way to get the font they want saved as an image, which can then be imported as a stencil for ArtRage.

Whichever way you choose to go, you'll likely have a lot more questions pop up. If you plan to go with the stencils though, I'd suggest reading up in the manual about them first, then read through this thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...hlight=stencil

There's also a Video Link posted there about one of many ways a person can create a font stencil for ArtRage.

(EDIT) - Silentman beat me to the punch... He probably posted just after I hit the "reply" button, lol.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 09-10-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

It just goes to show how nice a bunch we are lol
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

You might try using something like Microsoft Publisher or the free one which comes with Open Office.com and put the book together using thone of those.
    You can then place a picture on the top of the page and then add the text in the lower part of the page like the books on the market.
    You can also place things anywhere on the page.

Thank you all so much for the help and warm welcome. It is so nice to find such friendly people to help us with this.

I did download Gimp awhile back, before we found ArtRage, but we do not really know how to use it - we are both new to any sort of graphic art programs. We can try to play around with it some more but it is not easy to understand like ArtRage is.

I wish I could afford Photoshop but I am unemployed. That is why I am glad I found ArtRage because it seems like a great program that I could afford. I have looked in the gallery and am in awe at what you all have done. I tried to upload my daughter's picture but the file is too big I guess. If I can figure out how to do it - I will because it is really turning out nice.

Is it possible to somehow type the title in the font and size she wants it in Word and then put it behind her picture and copy it - sort of like she is doing to copy the sketch? Or could it be uploaded as a layer or something? I am not very good with all the different file types either and what is compatible.

I would not know how to make a template. Silentman, you mentioned a tutorial which would be great unless there really is an easier way - like if you could just explain a bit more how we could do it in Gimp.

Sorry - I have written my own novel here!

Thanks again!

Roz and Sarah
    Last edited by RozE; 09-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.

GIMP can be a bit complicated, yes but even the standard MSPaint will let you add text to a picture. If you're planning on printing it out, it probably would be easier to just export the picture as a jpeg/png and copy it into a document, then add txt - as you can see how it will print.
    There's also paint.NET - like a much more advanced version of Paint.

The 'in ArtRage' option - making stencils is basically:
    use a program that adds text to write.
    Save it as a picture.
    Use that picture as a stencil - black will be solid and white will be the 'gaps' in the stencil.

(better instructions in the links given if you want more detail ^_^ )

edit: and you can add it as a layer, but it gets a little complicated. For the layer to work, the background would need to be transparent - so a PNG, PSD or GIF file, which are picture files, and I doubt Word can do. You can write it in GIMP and save it and import it that way.
    Last edited by Flynn_the_Cat; 09-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.

I personally prefer Photo Filtre to Gimp for a lot of procedures,
    you have a free version very good , you find it in here http://www.photofiltre.com/

Then you can do the text with a transparent background in this light program
    and bring the image in a new layer into Art Rage,
    to place the text where you like you have to use the transform layer and see what you like to do.

Welcome to the Forum to you and your daughter !
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

I can't remember which other applications support cut and past into artrage, but Andy could tell you. I know it works with Illustrator and Photoshop.
    There must be some cheaper programs that work too besides Gimp.

Rose just tell me the text you want a stencil for and i'll write a short tutorial with pics for you, whilst making your stencil in the process, i'd rather make the actual words than an alphabet stencil, less work involved for me please
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22