Thread: female (shadows, anatomy, etc)

Gallery
    View images

female (shadows, anatomy, etc)

Hi there,
    I would like to hear some critiques and especially suggestions for improvement. I had some troubles with the shadows and anatomy.
    Also, I don't know what to do with the background yet, but first I want to finish this before I move on to the background.

Thank you for your advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spioncol.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	32925  

Gallery
    View images

hi

as a women i must say that the breast look missplaced and abnormal. but thats just my opinion. other than that i like the body, nice hair.

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, the breasts were a part of the difficulties
    It is really hard to place the shadows so that breasts don't look like one enormous boob. I ended up in front of the mirror positioning my breasts, so that I could see what it should look like.
    But it still looks strange and I have no clue why. Maybe somebody has an advice?

Try drawing some naked women, it will help you with breast placement and give you some idea of shadows. ATM your image is very flat due to lack of highlights and shadows.

Gallery
    View images
    Start with the background, not the foreground. The background serves as the environment for your figure - it is easy to tie the figure into it, but almost impossible to tie a background to the figure.

Always think where the light is coming from. You have random highlights on the costume but no lighting on the hair, for instance.

Study anatomy and perspective. You have many anatomical impossibilities in that drawing. People have already noticed that you placed the breasts at collarbone level.

The site at fineart.sk has textbooks by Andrew Loomis. I recommend to check them out.

Gallery
    View images
    I am NOT an expert. That said, I like the stylistic way you have done the body... try making the breast just a bit smaller, maybe lower the lines and I thought I saw the exact shape you need for the contours in her left leg. I'm looking forward to the finished project.

Gallery
    View images
    I think your image rocks! Especially when viewed in the large size. Yeah you could lower the bosom but that is an easy fix. Great job. I venture to say that many could not do as well. It has a great graphic comic look. Did you mean to say that you want to lose all that graphic novel look and go for more realistic painting? It is really good.

Gallery
    View images
    thanks for all of your answers!
    after a long time, I was in the mood to draw again.
    I fixed some things, but I decided to go on without fixing all anatomical mistakes, otherwise I would have to start from the beginnning.
    But I'm still going to practice anatomy and so on

@arenhaus
    thanks for the link! the books are very usefull and I think I will have to go through some of them
    @squirls
    thank you
    @gzairborne
    also, thanks to you!
    I intended to do this comic look, but still tried not to break all rules of anatomy and lightning. At least I tried.

So I worked on the background, but I still need to find out how to do the window area. now it looks awful and doesn't fit into the image at all.

and as always, I hope for suggestions and advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spioncol2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	33789  

Gallery
    View images
    I have a tip for you. Often it happens that the artist is so unwilling to step back, that he keeps trying to save a picture that is too difficult to save, and wastes time and effort. I think that adding a background as an afterthought is one of the things that guarantee such a quagmire. At least so it is in my experience.

Yes, you've spent a lot of time and effort on polishing it. But it may be better to scrap this picture and rework it from scratch, this time fixing what is wrong with it. In this case, plan the background / environment first and then find the place for the figure within it. It will be much easier, because it is both an easier task and you have some "research" done with this picture.

Decide where the figure stands, what's the perspective, and where the light is coming from. Do some quick exploratory sketches. Do not color at this stage and do not add detail; sketches must be cheap to do so you don't weep throwing them away or reworking them. You may also want to do those on paper, not on screen. Sketching is notoriously difficult on computer. Paper is far friendlier.

Only when you get the sketch you're happy with, scan it and paint it on computer.

Again: to save time and frustration, go from rough to detailed, sketch to final, and don't skip stages. Painting detailed reflections on a rough sketch only to discover that your perspective is off, for instance, is a sure way to waste time and work. Plan everything first, execute later.