Thread: Right click fullscreen and other random AR2 shortcuts

Gallery
    View images

Right click fullscreen and other random AR2 shortcuts

You press Tab one time it hides the palettes, you press TAB two times it goes fullscreen, you press Tab for a third time and it restores the palettes. If I'm in the middle of work I don't want to drop my pen just to press a mouse button and I always reserve the buttons on my Intuos pen for other shortcuts. Or we could just press Tab one time to go fullscreen and hide some of the palettes manually.

Zoom in and out - Space+Control and Space+Control+Alt, using control +/- is not practical in the least and nor is the mouse wheel. The AR's zoom out keyboard shortcut doesn't even function in my portuguese keyboard layout. Yes Z toggles the zoom tool and you use the pen to zoom in and out freely, but again, you could use this method and still have the Space+Control, more options never hurt no one.

Live rotate - press Space+Alt and it activates the rotation, great you guys got one right! But double click with the nib on the canvas while the page rotation tool is activated and it restores the orientation, easy to figure out and remember.

Live brush resize - Control+Alt, AR has quite abusive UI interactivity, okay you guys made some fancy palettes and want people to use them but they get old really fast if you do any kind of work that isn't dependent on stencils, not practical.

I just want the dev team to be fully aware that people do use/d other programs as well and don't want to spend time learning the "peculiar" AR shortcuts. A full keyboard shortcut editor with macro support is the only way I see AR3, this way they could make the current userbase happy and still win some new users like me.
    Black triangle cursor option for ArtRage 3 please!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by furio View Post
    You press Tab one time it hides the palettes, you press TAB two times it goes fullscreen, you press Tab for a third time and it restores the palettes. If I'm in the middle of work I don't want to drop my pen just to press a mouse button and I always reserve the buttons on my Intuos pen for other shortcuts. Or we could just press Tab one time to go fullscreen and hide some of the palettes manually.
    The "Enter" key also clears the screen of all panels (like right clicking the mouse).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    To address some of the requests in the original post:

Tab:

The tab key is for panel retraction, similar to Photoshop's control removal. The enter key is probably what you want, which is the equivalent of Photoshop's 2x F with Tab included. The reason for this being on Enter and doing what it does relates to the Tablet PC standard which requires an Enter button on the frame of the machine, as the only readily available guaranteed button Enter was the natural choice for hiding the entire interface so that you can work uninhibited. Right click is similarly accessible regardless of keyboard presence so was included to allow those who's tablets do not match standards easy access to the functionality. Removing the interface is a core part of what ArtRage is about, which is why it's given such importance compared to the treatment some other applications may give it.

Ctrl - Space:

Ctrl - Space is reserved on OSX (Cmd - Space) so we use Shift - Space for click and drag live zooming as a standard across scalable objects. If you can do Ctrl-Space without your keyboard try Shift-Space (if you've set up your tablet to do Ctrl-Space for one app, you should be able to add a profile). Alternatively, if your tablet has a zoom strip, that should work.

Ctrl + Alt:

Use the left and right arrows for resizing the brush currently, or Shft + the arrows for 10% increments.

Worry not, we're well aware that people use other applications, as we've stated before we want ArtRage to be able to operate alongside other apps. In the future we will be introducing keyboard shortcuts for people who's other applications aren't the ones we already follow for standards or people who have specific layouts and requirements for how they work.

We're happy to hear requests for features, but please bear in mind that something that seems 'peculiar' to you may actually have a very good reason, so if you make your requests without the additional commentary on how odd things are, how wrong things are, or how impractical things are for you your requests are more likely to be considered.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Matt, great explanation.

Question.. is there a way you could include in the manual a tear out sheet for shortcuts? I never remember them all and instead of looking them up (like a good girl), I just take the long way. I love 'cheat sheets' and it would be great to have one to put next to the keyboard to remind me. I know others would greatly appreciate that too, doesn't have to be in next release, but just something that can be torn out or laminated and put next to the computer

Just a suggestion.
    Hi Rose,

Pages 80-81 of the manual holds a list of the available shortcuts for AR2.5. Here is a screen shot of the two pages (click on the image to see it full size):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR2point5-shortcutkeys.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	32901

Gallery
    View images
    I was wondering why your name was Furio, Furious just kidding hehehe
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    There should be a Shortcut Keys option in the Help Menu that opens a PDF containing just the shortcuts, that can be either viewed or printed. If we do another version with a printed manual I'll look at the option of a tear out, it would be nice to have a quick reference (maybe a shortcut key to pop up a list of the shortcut keys temporarily!).

With customisable shortcuts on the way something in the application to display this might be better though, or at least a tear out list written in pencil with a free eraser so you can update them manually
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I would like to highlight the following bit of Matts post, for those people out there that simply can't live on without having their keys do what they want them too.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    With customisable shortcuts on the way

Gallery
    View images

For Tablet Users

For those of us who don't use keyboards the multiple functions attached to Control (right click+drag=pan and right click=show/hide all interface) are problematic as we have only two buttons on the Wacom pens. I find it endlessly annoying that attempting to pan the canvas *may or may not* activate the hide interface feature and *may or may not* unhide it.

As most tablet PC/Modbook users set their dual pen buttons globally to Command and Control we need a contextual menu for the right click/Control button to provide pen only access to the basic canvas tools of pan, zoom, rotate plus any extras such as color picker, copy and paste, brushes, short cuts, etc.

It would be a huge plus if the other pen rocker button (i.e. - Command) could be programmed internally for a specific modifyer that each user finds him/herself using most commonly. In my case that would be panning the canvas but others might prefer zoom or rotate. This would eliminate the need to bring up the full right click contextual menu for a particular user's most commonly accessed canvas tool and again a second time to return to the brush or pencil previously in use and result in a more natural workflow.

Oh yeah... and a brush shape panel but that's another thing altogether

Gallery
    View images

Hi,

I just came accross this Cheat Sheet which didn't fully satisfied me so I did myself a new one.

I hope you will find it usefull !

I also have a .PDF and a .odp version of this file. I'll post the URL as soon as I can (so you can modify them)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheatsheatartrage.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	34695