ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet PC...any with tilt?

Gallery
    View images

Tablet PC...any with tilt?

I'm looking to purchase a tablet PC in a few months....does anyone out there use one with ArtRage? If so, how do you like it and what brand of computer do you use.

How important is digitizer vs. touchscreen and does anyone know of a tablet PC with a digitizer screen that recognizes tilt?

Thanks,
    Michael

Gallery
    View images
    Before you get too enthusiastic about 'tilt' support with TabletPCs, be aware that ArtRage wouldn't use the tilt option even if it existed.

We've tried to put testing in for the availability of tilt support using the Microsoft TabletPC API, but have had difficulty making that test work reliably. So in the meantime it has been removed.
    In other words, ArtRage only supports 'tilt' and 'orientation' when using the Wacom WinTab API (the way most graphics tablets do it) but not when using the TabletPC API.

That may change at a future date, but for the moment ArtRage 2.x doesn't support tilt on a TabletPC, even if it was available (although I can't think of any TabletPCs which support tilt at the moment anyway).
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    The digitizers that Wacom provides for tablet PC's don't support tilt.

See this page on the Wacom site for a summary of features:

http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/comparison.cfm

D.

Gallery
    View images

Any recommendations?

Well, at least that's one less option to worry about .

Does anybody have a recommendation on a tablet PC?
    Acer, Motion, Electrovaya, Toshiba, Fujitsu?

Who has the best looking screens?

Is an active digitazer a necessity, or will touchscreen work OK? Touchscreen doesn't have pressure sensitivity, right??

Thanks,
    Michael

Gallery
    View images

Re: Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Texas
    Well, at least that's one less option to worry about .

Does anybody have a recommendation on a tablet PC?
    Acer, Motion, Electrovaya, Toshiba, Fujitsu?

Who has the best looking screens?

Is an active digitazer a necessity, or will touchscreen work OK? Touchscreen doesn't have pressure sensitivity, right??

Thanks,
    Michael
    By definition, Tablet PC's have activ digitizers - it is a Microsoft requirement. That is a good thing - otherwise, resting your hand or just brushing the screen while writing or drawing would crete unwanted results.

I personally chose a Toshiba M400 (and had the M200 before that). I like the machines, they well equipped, have a nice screen, and are fairly durable. Some folks like slate-style Tablet PC's versus convertible (which are like anormal laptop, but the screen flips around. I do a lot of typing, and prefer the convertible.

Check out tabletpcbuzz's forums for the most active discussion. Their news area is slow and not frequently updated, but the forums are the most active of any TPC site.

Best wishes...

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Hiya Michael...

I use a Toshiba Tecra M4 (which has now been made redundant by the release of the Tecra M7, which is Vista-ready).

I'm extremely happy with the results I'm getting on this machine. You can check out my pics on my Flickr gallery (the link is in my sig file below).

The difference between a touch-screen and an active digitiser is huge. Pressure sensitivity is essential to making awesome paintings using ArtRage (that's my opinion, anyway).

Whichever machine you end up buying, I recommend that you pump it to the gills with ram. And buy the high-end one, the one with the fastest processor you can get. One of the failings of tablet pcs is that they seem to be aimed at middle-of-the-road users. So they tend to be underwhelmingly specced. Blah.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, that helps me decide.

I'm considering the Lenovo X60s when it comes out soon. It looks like it has an option for a high-res screen (1400 x 1050), but i'm not sure yet if it has an active digitizer.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/WeveGot...etPCSpecs.aspx

Gallery
    View images
    Hey guys

I think this is a great discussion, and I've been thinking about tablet PC's for quite abit of time now. I'm curious to know how the performace is of the tablets you mention. I've seen a couple firsthand and they were slower than slow even with simple paint software like MSPaint. I'm thinking about getting a Cintiq screen just to be able to enjoy the more intuitive input, but a tablet pc will get me the same for a cheaper price + it will be more usefull in the longrun.

If its not too much of a bugger, could you please list your machine name and a a couple of lines on how your TabletPC works for you. I'm mostly interested in lag-drag (the amount of drag between the stroke you lay and the visual feedback from the tabletPC), screen quality and speed with larger Artrage canvases, and lastly how big of a concern is the offset of the pennib on the screen to the pixels laid down on the canvas?

I'm pretty sure that many more are interested in these observations as tabletPCs are becomming faster and faster and seems to be working pretty neat with software like Artrage.

thanks a bunch in advance.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Peter...

I'm driving a Toshiba Tecra M4 with 1 gig of ram. It's a 1.73 GHz processor, with 128 megs of dedicated video ram on an Nvidia chip.

I run CorelDraw 10 and ArtRage 2.2 on it with absolutely no hassles.

I DO get some stroke lag on it in ArtRage, but truly only when I'm working on a MASSIVE canvas (5000 x 5000 plus), or when I've got about 20 layers, or when I've set a particular tool above the 100% size limit.

At all other times, ArtRage behaves EXACTLY like a real brush or pen or whatever.

Corel Painter 9.5 has huge draglag at all times of the day or night on my machine.

Screen resolution is a lovely 1400 x 1050, which is nicely crisp, and is traditional format (not widescreen), which is a plus for me.

The error between penpoint and actual cursor is extremely negligible in my opinion. I can mostly draw a line, lift the pen, and continue the line seamlessly almost all the time. The screen seems well-calibrated to the pen.

There are things that DON'T please me about this particular machine.

It runs VERY hot. Too hot to have on your lap for extended periods, and definitely too hot to leave on a cloth surface overnight. I fear that it COULD cause a fire.

(I've got a piece of freeware installed which monitors the chip and harddrive temperatures. Right now, this computer has been on for about an hour, with three apps running -- Roxio Audio Central, Firefox with 10 tabs open, and my 3G card dashboard for internet connectivity. CPU temperature is 75 degrees celcius. Harddrive is 49 degrees c. That's FREAKING hot, if you ask me. And that heat manifests mainly on my left wrist, next to the touchpad, and from the fan top left. Yeeeeeks.)

It's also a heavy machine. If you lug it in an over-the-shoulder bag, you're asking for a back injury. It's strictly only to be carried in a backpack, so that the weight is distributed evenly over both shoulders. Seriously. I'm in physiotherapy cos of this bugger.

Oh... back to the screen... regardless of which machine you decided to go with, ensure that you buy one with an outdoor-viewable screen. My Compaq shipped in South Africa with an indoors-only screen. And it sucks. Deluxe. Yuch! Pathetic!!!! With even moderate ambient light around it, the thing is almost unviewable. And the view angle is terrible. Straight on only.

All in all, though, I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't even CONSIDER a Cintiq. If you want to go anywhere with the Cintiq, you need to lug both it AND the computer it's attached to. Yikes!!!

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    hi there Roy. Thanks for the lengthy answer. That was exactly the info i was looking for. I totally agree with you on the cintiq deal, and it is very costly to booth.

Sounds good with the performance. Seems like the tabletpc's have picked up speed recently. Great to hear.

thanks again
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com